351 burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Talk to Bill about the problem your having and see what he says. He's an honest guy and he will let you know if there was a problem with the rings he sent out. Keep us posted what you find out.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Already did. He says that they were the right rings and that the bike overheated and they lost their temper. It never overheated. Just burnt oil. There are no other symptoms. The op would have had no symptoms, but he caught it a bit too late. I have no interest in asking him again. I'm calling JE with actual bore size and piston part number and getting proper rings. Simple

Old 10-03-2017, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bryan632
Already did. He says that they were the right rings and that the bike overheated and they lost their temper. It never overheated. Just burnt oil. There are no other symptoms. The op would have had no symptoms, but he caught it a bit too late. I have no interest in asking him again. I'm calling JE with actual bore size and piston part number and getting proper rings. Simple
So did your engine start burning oil immediately after installing the kit? If the rings are wrong then I'd think it would do it right away.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, it was immediate. It got worse after everything seated in, but was steady.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I too found it odd that so many in recent threads had seemingly related issues.

I'm no master mechanic, but certainly a decent 'backyard wrench'. I wont say i didnt make a mistake, but again the whole thing seems odd.

will begin building it back up this evening. hoping for the best. if it fails again, i wont be putting BnB stuff back on it (i'll either part it out or do a 300cc buildup).

The last couple of times I spoke with Bill he seemed rather agitated with all of this.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

So I'm torqueing the head back on this morning. Got to the last of the pair of smaller side bolts, and I notice it won't torque up, then I feel a burr, then I take a photo and see this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/of8dl9sa9u...%20AM.jpg?dl=0

arrrggghhh. Is there a fix or am I in line for a new $$$$ylinder head!?!

Old 10-07-2017, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Ahh that sucks. Best bet is to pull the head off and take it to a machine shop that also tig welds.

Last edited by s10gto; 10-07-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I wonder if you could remove all the chips then put in a steel rod and mold in some epoxy to the approximate original aluminum shape. Finish shape with a file and take it easy on the torque.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by snappster
I wonder if you could remove all the chips then put in a steel rod and mold in some epoxy to the approximate original aluminum shape. Finish shape with a file and take it easy on the torque.
That crossed my mind. If I wax the steel rod would it release from the epoxy? Or wrap it in painters tape?

Old 10-10-2017, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Bryan, sorry to hear that you had some issues. Although I know that Bill checks all of the tolerances before he ships out the kits, I feel that it still falls upon the installer to verify that EVERYTHING is correct. Problem solved before it even becomes a problem....

Quick Reply: 351 burning oil