351 burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
usually worse around 5,500 rpm and to my ear sounds kind of like a few rocks shaking in a metal coffee can.
I think that the Kawi ACT is better than the ones on my Honda. Kawi ACT wears out a tooth and slips back to the next good tooth. My magna ACT hinged only on a mousetrap spring, which tend to break at the sharp bend at the end. This allows the cam chain tensioner to back all the way out. This happened on I-564 one morning commute and was very loud making me expect a loud bang at any moment.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

now that you say that - about the time i realized i was out of oil, i heard a de-tensioning snap sound - at first i thought my chain had popped.

i sure hope thats all it is - if all i have to do is replace head gasket and tensioner i'll call it a lucky break. hopefully no cylinder scoring or cam journal damage

do head gaskets just "go" on occasion, or is it more likely the mechanic to blame?!

Last edited by sphen; 08-29-2017 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by snappster
I think that the Kawi ACT is better than the ones on my Honda. Kawi ACT wears out a tooth and slips back to the next good tooth. My magna ACT hinged only on a mousetrap spring, which tend to break at the sharp bend at the end. This allows the cam chain tensioner to back all the way out. This happened on I-564 one morning commute and was very loud making me expect a loud bang at any moment.

Yikes!!!

Old 08-30-2017, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Might be a good time to get web cams

Old 08-30-2017, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I have some experience with High Compression head gaskets. Spare no expense!

Web cams aren't going to do any good if the journals are toasted, you'll need a head.

I used 'copper' head gasket goop, you can get it at Napa, and don't be shy about slathering it on. Then take the head bolts up in sequence, can't remember what I did exactly but 65%, 85%, then 100%; don't do it all in one wack. I'm not an 'expert', but that is about what i did and it is still running.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Ask Bill. I am not an engine expert but I would think a compression check and leak-down check would yield insight into the engine's condition before you open it up. If you do or don't have air bubbling out of you radiator could tell something about the head gasket condition with shop air pressure applied at spark plug hole, etc.

Last edited by snappster; 08-30-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

seems like conventional wisdom for this engine is no goop on the head gasket - or at least thats what i saw when i was researching the build....?

i will probably tear into it this weekend (if my house isnt under water by then..) - whats the best way to post up pictures on here these days?

Old 08-30-2017, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sphen
seems like conventional wisdom for this engine is no goop on the head gasket - or at least thats what i saw when i was researching the build....?

i will probably tear into it this weekend (if my house isnt under water by then..) - whats the best way to post up pictures on here these days?
correct. Head gasket needs to be installed clean and dry. Copper spray (or goop) is for copper gaskets like found on model A' s to help seal water.

please post pics. 20+ year engine builder. I may be able to help.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Tore it down today. Did find some metal in the oil filter. Cam chain was still under tension so I guess the act was ok.

Here are are some pics. Input welcomed....

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7w5egn5bl...UMix_R2ua?dl=0

Old 09-02-2017, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Can't say for certain, but do you have a broken ring? It looks like you have a couple of gouges in your cylinder. Since the head is already off, all you have to do is pull the cylinder off to find out.

Quick Reply: 351 burning oil