331cc install: good news and bad news

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 05:55 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 331cc install: good news and bad news

ORIGINAL: KYMER KLX

the clutch is only held by one bolt. remove that bolt, and with both hands pull the entire clutch assembly fly wheel and all. then uhave access to the cam chain. the book makes it look harder than it realy is. i work on these things for a living. if u have anyquestions everjust e-mail me @ kymer1500@hotmail.com or send me a message i like to help anyone who needs it.
Hey, thanks man - that's awesome!!! Where do you live?

Seriously, though, that's good information for us noobs. I know just enough to be dangerous as I have just recently demonstrated.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

As much as I hate to dredge up old posts....how do you keep the timing chain from falling off in the first place? I was thinking of a rope up to the handlebars loosely tied so that I could lift the cylinder off, slide it up the rope and then remove it, and replace the rope. And then the reverse for putting the new cylinder on.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

It will stay on if you don't move it. I was off of TDC just a speck and went to turn the crank a little to get it to TDC probably without enough tension on the chain and I think that is what caused mine to drop off the lower sprocket. Normally this shouldn't happen as long as you don't turn the crank.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:14 PM

Man!! Reading this entire post reminds me when I performed a vasectomy on myself. Talk about a nailbiter!! Halfway through it and I was tearing stuff out and wondering, "Should I have just gone ahead and had a doctor do this?" Nah. Eventually turned out fine--although my voice is about an octive higher now.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:26 PM

Just curious, why did you go with the 331 over the 340? I'm looking to big bore this winter and want to choose the best one.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:08 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

At that time, there weren't many options available and I wasn't aware of any 340 kits. But I'd heard good things about Kustom Kraft and already had a 300 cylinder from my 300 install. There's a lot more information around now - you guys are lucky.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:01 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Redlinejohn

Man!! Reading this entire post reminds me when I performed a vasectomy on myself. Talk about a nailbiter!! Halfway through it and I was tearing stuff out and wondering, "Should I have just gone ahead and had a doctor do this?" Nah. Eventually turned out fine--although my voice is about an octive higher now.
[sm=yikesomg.gif]Wow, you've got *****!!!!! uh ..... then again .... maybe not..

Old 08-29-2007, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

You can (and should) drop the timing chain down into the bottom of it's little chamber...
It's just getting in the way during the whole operation, and it's extremely easy to fish it out with a magnetic grabber when the time comes to reassemble.
It totally freaked me out too, when I read Brian's ordeal, but when I did it myself it was a piece o cake.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Ok, just to clarify, when I say dropped the timing chain, I meant dropped off the lower sprocket. As Kawi Wawi said, it's not a problem to let it rest in the right side area during the procedure.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:51 AM

Someone know from each bike is the Bill blue JE piston 83mm tha come on 331cc big bore kit? thank so much

Quick Reply: 331cc install: good news and bad news