330 kit durability

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 330 kit durability

Well I am right on the brink of selling my '12 KLX250s and moving up to something larger oooor doing what I had planned all along and putting in the kustom kraft 330 big bore kit along with a new exhaust and the jet kit,the only thing that worries me is the way people talk about the kit " just installed the kit,hope my clutch lasts" and "800 miles on my big bore kit and still going strong" it seems like they expect the kit to be a temporary thing? and what is this about the clutch not lasting?does the extra HP harm the engine? I am probably the least mechanically inclined rider you will ever meet so all this confuses me I ride alot and really do not want to make my bike any less reliable,thoughts?
Thanks,
Hunterman.

Last edited by thehunterman; 04-05-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:19 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The 50hp resulting from the 351 kit will toast the stock clutch in minutes. Don't do it.

OK, that was total BS. The stock clutch is strong enough to handle the extra torque and power of the 351. Many who have gone to the 351 have done so after a lot of miles on their original setup and may need a clutch "refreshening". Also, some of the guys who've done the 351 are perhaps more serious in their off road attempts which will challenge the best clutches in the best competition bikes out there. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill on the KLX clutch. Get the bore kit you want and enjoy it.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Best thing i ever bolted on my bike...a kustom kraft 331 kit. 8000miles of abuse on the kit so far & still on the original clutch!!

I did notice some miner clutch slip after breaking in the kit & letting her rip. So invested 25 bucks on some Barnett HD clutch springs & they are still doing a great job 8000miles later.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member

hunterman. I think in my recent posts i was pretty proud that my bike was trouble free after the first 600 miles not because i think the kit makes it less reliable, but because i didnt have time to really ride it around in a controlled environment where AAA could reach me in case of a problem. As far as the clutch, ive read some users have slippage and that could just be a already wearing clutch magnified by extra power. I havent noticed any slipping so far and am really happy with it. I was in the same boat, buy a bigger bike or big bore kit. I decided since I love the bike and just wanted some more power this was the best choice for me. Hope this helps

Old 04-05-2013, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Who uses the clutch?

Old 04-05-2013, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Who uses the clutch?
hippies probly

Old 04-05-2013, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thehunterman
hippies probly
And *****

Old 04-05-2013, 05:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Come ride some of our steep trails and you'll be slipping the clutch.

Clutch rebuild, if needed, is cheap compared to the big bore kit and put in those Barnett springs. Don't worry. Ride it hard.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:20 AM
1st Gear Member

7 Posts!! That must be close to the all-time Godwin's Law record.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Just looking at the Kustom Kraft site,I notice they say that it fits 2006-2009,the KLX was changed or updated in 2009 correct? I'm assuming that the engine was not changed too much that way the big bore kit should still work with my '12 KLX.The other thing I worry about is the jetting,will the dyno jet kit work for the BB kit(I am going to install a two bros. exhaust before I do the BB kit and rejet then with the dyno kit) but will the dyno kit in the stock carb work with the larger bore? and also are there any mods to the oil supply needed(no idea how that works) but it seems like more engine would need a better flow of oil? idk just thinkin'
Thanks,
hunterman.

Quick Reply: 330 kit durability