Old 01-18-2012, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cousinlarry
hooray for carbs!! :d
+1 :d

Old 01-19-2012, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by grahamgower
This is an interesting option for owners of the 250 EFI models. The stock injectors and mapping seem to work up to around 315cc. After that, from investigations on the various forums, the bigger kits, such as BB or KK open up a can of tuning worms and expenses for EFI owners.
Have faith Graham, I have spoken to 2 of the API's technicians & the ex senior programmer @ API Bangkok & they assure me the stock injector will work with their unlimited programmable box!! They say it's only the basic piggy-back systems that struggle to get full flow out of the injector.....They have got a 351 running strongly but haven't put the film on youtube yet. It's just a matter of time until someone that speaks English gets their big bore running well with a API box. The investigations on the various forums over the last couple of years have only been Juicebox & PC v piggy-back systems!!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoelThailand
Have faith Graham, I have spoken to 2 of the API's technicians & the ex senior programmer @ API Bangkok & they assure me the stock injector will work with their unlimited programmable box!! They say it's only the basic piggy-back systems that struggle to get full flow out of the injector.....They have got a 351 running strongly but haven't put the film on youtube yet. It's just a matter of time until someone that speaks English gets their big bore running well with a API box. The investigations on the various forums over the last couple of years have only been Juicebox & PC v piggy-back systems!!
Besides faith, I need patience more. I have an itchy trigger finger and almost pulled it on a 330, then a 351, now its aimed at an OMC 300 kit. I have paid for the EJK and am waiting impatiently for it. I am attaching a quote that I got today from a clever fellow that develops the EJK at Dobeck performance. I asked him the following question...

“I have come across a programmable ECU from a Thai distributer, manufactured by API. In your opinion would this solve the BB flow issues?”

No. A reprogrammed ECU is only extending the injector pulse width, just like our EJK kit. The problem is the stock injector itself can’t flow any more fuel. Which you will only see if you go to the 330 BB kit.

I have another guy in the Carribian, Paul from Cycle care racing that has success with the 330 kit on EFI. This is what he had to say...

We used a Dynojet Powercommander PCV with the stock injector . We used a Web Cam with longer duration . We fitted a FMF exhaust . Opened the airbox . Used a de-restricted , aftermarket ECU to remove the speed limiter . Tuned it on a Land and Sea Dynomometer with load control and AFR sensor . After mods it ran well . It seemed a little rough in the transition from idle to 1\8 throttle . Otherwise it pulls hard in all gears .

Most of my tricky trails as well as city riding is in the 1/8 throttle. A little rough is not what I need after spending a chunk of change.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by grahamgower

No. A reprogrammed ECU is only extending the injector pulse width, just like our EJK kit. It seemed a little rough in the transition from idle to 1\8 throttle . Otherwise it pulls hard in all gears .
A little rough is not what I need after spending a chunk of change.
Point taken Graham, spending loads of cash & getting something not perfect to ride is a problem!!

I'm not sure if your tech guy is familiar with the API programmable ecu, as he says it only controls pulse width. Now i'm not a technician or a spokesman for API but the programmable unit seems to control pulse width, frequency, flow rate & injection acceleration amongst a whole host of other things. He refers to it as a reprogrammed ecu, which it is not.

PM me your email address & i'll send you the api software (around 6 megs in size), install it & have a look at what it does & controls.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
Hooray for carbs!!

I second that! I love my FCR carb.