300R float height?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 300R float height?

Anyone know the measurement for float height on my 2004 KLX300R with stock CVK carb?

My bike starts and runs extremely well - yes, I've hand-started it. Unfortunately it's puking gas on my barn floor when I leave it unattended for a bit and the petcock on.

Odd thing is it's puking through the bowl drain hose - not an overflow. May just need to loosen and reseat the drain screw. Anyway, the carb is off because I don't know what the jetting is.

I may want to ante up for a pumper, but in the meantime - I don't want gas on my floor.

A quick look (haven't torn it apart yet) shows the slide to be metal. Seems like my old 331 AND my 07 250S both had a plastic slide. What's with the metal slide?

Old 12-17-2012, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Whoa - let's back up here.

I just disassembled my 300R's CVK carb and found a few things. First, it was leaking fuel because the little wire holder that connects the float needle to the tab was missing - so the needle was able to wander all over the place. The rubber gasket between the body and the bowl was disintegrated, The fuelscrew was missing it's washer and o-ring, the jetting was stock (even though it's running a powercore4 slipon), the pilot jet was ****e, and there was no clamp on the airbox boot.

I don't know how the bike was running at all - let alone running fairly well as it was.

I don't like the idea of throwing $100 into a DJ kit, rebuild kit and assorted extras.

Makes it really easy to order a TM36-68 for $259 shipped.

I have no worries about tuning the Mikuni as I've tuned a bunch of FCR's and I'ved heard they're harder anyway.

Will I need a new throttle cable for the Mikuni?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 AM
1st Gear Member

One of the stock throttle cables can be made to work, but it is a short fit. Another 2-3 inches would help.........insert your own joke here

This is what I have in my 36-68 and should get you close:

Main Jet 130
Pilot jet 15
Needle Jet 568-P8
Needle 9DZK6-50
Clip in middle slot
Float Height 20mm at highest point.

Also adjust the start and duration of the accelerator pump for best throttle response.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 12-17-2012, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Brewster. Those numbers look like what I was seeing last night on the e-web.

Anyone else have recommendations for jetting from SL-3K'?

Any misgivings on a TM36 pumper on a 300R?

I'm still amazed at the bikes performance with such an overlooked CVK. Wheelied easily in 2nd on throttle alone with bad jetting and everything else. Honestly, if it weren't puking all over the barn I probably wouldn't have opened the carb in the first place.

If any of you guys see a used CVK for sale cheap in Maine - DON'T BUY IT!

Old 12-17-2012, 03:21 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

dj, I know you've probably already seen my experiences with the TM36 up to this point. The performance and "driveability" of this carb have been downright excellent. I attribute a lot to Mustang and Dan Moore for shaking out the jetting on this carb, so my results were almost plug-and-play. You know I'm running an OEM 300 cylinder and piston, so my results should be about identical to yours. I have a fully opened airbox (screen out, intake hole much larger) and a full Muzzy exhaust. I was amazed that my fuel mileage was equal to and occasionally exceeds that of the OEM CV carb which was set up very well.

Compared to Mustang and Dan's setup, I'm down/leaner on the main jet one step than Mustang but the same as Dan's...127.5. I'm also running a 0.9 pilot air jet which is down a step from the 1.0 stock jet. The smaller jet actually increases air velocity which richens the mixture since it's an air jet and not a fuel jet like the 17.5 pilot jet. I had a lean stumble just off idle that the accelerator pump wasn't addressing. Just that one step small air jet fixed that issue.

So, overall I'm running a 127.5 main

P4 needle jet

9EBY1-50 needle

Needle in 3rd clip from top

17.5 pilot jet

0.9 pilot air jet

AP adustment, starts at 1/8th and ends at 3/4, with squirt pointed directly at the needle

Fuel/air screw at 2 turns out

dj, if you haven't seen this thread on the KF already, here's a link: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...klx250s-13648/

Also, I found the Mikuni tuning guide for this carb to be quite excellent despite its concise amount of data. The descriptions of conditions to guide your tuning were very good IMO. http://www.zodiac.nl/instructions/234862.pdf

I considered the application of this carb to a KLX to be unnecessary for full potential. I was wrong.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks TNC. From my tavels I seem to remember Abilene being due west (and therefore higher in elevation) than Dallas. Am I close at 1500-2000' range? A bit higher than my home base of 800' but probably not enough to change the jetting much.

Yes, I remember seeing your writeup but couldn't seem to find the right search string to pull it up.

I'm buying the Mikuni online so I'm guessing I'll get it with Mikuni's baseline jetting rather than having my choice. I'll probably try that and see how it gos, although it would be nice to receive the needle of choice in the kit. I'll call them before ordering.

Thanks to Brewster and TNC for the jetting help.

Others please feel free to chime in.