300cc first impression, ride report

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 300cc first impression, ride report

FM it opens up the carb much quicker. True it is ergos, so you dont have to sprain your wrist to open it wide up, but it actually feels way better too. One of the top 3 mods done to my bike for sure.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Are you changing the cable that actually opens the carb itself? If not, there is no way the vortex could open anything up quicker as it is still connected to the same place the oem throttle cable is. I think the real argument is to how fast one can spin each separate throttle to open the carb. With less area to turn/spin the throttle it would obviously reach the cable quicker with the same speed of roll-ons put on both oem and vortex throttles, which in turn would open up the carb faster;but then it leaves less area to modulate throttle inputs. If I spin the oem throttle a little quicker, wouldn't I theoretically be doing the same thing as the vortex does with its less area of turn/spin? The way I look at it, it really just boils down to how far/much you want to twist the throttle for results. The carb won't open up any further just because an aftermarket throttle has been hooked to it. For me, money could be spent elsewhere with much greater effect. That's just me though.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Jeff - thanks for the ride report, I've found it similar going from the 250 to the 331.... a nice amount more power everywhere. On a hill that might see me going from 2nd to first, now I can hold 2nd or third without straining the guts outa the motor.

Just curious though, can you post details on the airbox adapter you have on your FCR please? I've got a second hand FCR and the airbox adapter has a 40mm length and a 60mm outer diameter on the flange that goes into the airbox boot. I'm trying to source a new adapter but I don't know what size to ask for.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Stock throttle is a 1/2 turn to WOT, the vortex is 1/4 turn to WOT, it has a pulley sytem in it and a different throttle cam. Less twist = more throttle opening, its not magic, it just works. No one ever said it opened the throttle wider. 09KLX you used to race mx, the vortex is a pulley style throttle like the 2 stroke racers.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:35 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

there is no way the vortex could open anything up quicker as it is still connected to the same place the oem throttle cable is. I think the real argument is to how fast one can spin each separate throttle to open the carb. With less area to turn/spin the throttle it would obviously reach the cable quicker with the same speed of roll-ons put on both oem and vortex throttles, which in turn would open up the carb faster;but then it leaves less area to modulate throttle inputs. If I spin the oem throttle a little quicker, wouldn't I theoretically be doing the same thing as the vortex does with its less area of turn/spin? The way I look at it, it really just boils down to how far/much you want to twist the throttle for results. The carb won't open up any further just because an aftermarket throttle has been hooked to it. For me, money could be spent elsewhere with much greater effect. That's just me though.
WRONG AGAIN I would go back & edit & delete that before you turn yourself back into a complete fool infront of the new members.

You know better right IG? LOL

FM, try the throttle its $30 there is a reason everyone raves about it.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Now wait a minute; The All Knowing couldn't possibly have made another mistake.
I mean he did race motocross and all but has no idea what a 1/4-twist throttle is???? Hummmm?

Old 04-08-2008, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

The vortex doesnt open the carb up more. And it doesnt matter about the cable. It has a different pully system. If you had 180 degrees to turn and i had 90 and we turn at the same speed...who do you think is going to open up faster. Me. Its like if we can both run the same speed and i had 90 feet to run and you had 180 feet to run....whos going to finish their run first. Again Me.

It's an excellent mod IG you should try it. It is a little different trying to get used to as you dont have as much throttle play, but it does make a big difference imo, and pretty much everyone thats got one. Well worth the 30 bucks or whatever it was.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

so basically you just reiterated my point. it does not open the throttle any more than what the stock throttle does. yes it may open the throttle faster if we both roll on at the same speed, but all I have to do is twist my wrist a littlefaster and I get the same results as you. It's not that big of a deal with this bike as the carb sucks to begin with and with the nanosecond advantage you might have in reaching the carb with your input, it isn't going to make a whole lot of difference. I'll take the better control in place of the less travel of that throttle.
MX doesn't have anything to do with this. Those bikes are race bikes, you want them open all the time and the throttle speed does affect those as they are instant response pumper carbs, not vacuum operated street carbs.
I'm just trying to let newbies understand that just because you throw on this vortex throttle that it isn't going to open the throttle anymore than the stock one and it really is just a trade-off between less effort to open the throttle and less control and modulation of the throttle on the street where it may be important at times.
KLXer, how am I wrong? please explain how thevortex opens the throttle wider or more, andhow the stock throttle hasless modulation. What exactly is your argument with the vortex? That it opens the throttle faster since you don't have to twist the throttle as much? Okay, but like I said, if I twist the stock throttle a little faster than normal to get to WOT if that's what I seek, I get the same result. No?
I think you're the one who needs to go back and delete/edit. You're caught up in all the marketing/claims when all you have to do is look at the limits of the carb and how far it can open. Both throttles open it the same amount, one takes less effort to do it but like I said, if I have a quick wrist and don't mind a little more twisting I can do the same thing as your vortex.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

You cannot disprove that it makes a difference. Do you know why? BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE ONE. If you bought it, tried it and said you didn't notice anything then you have a valid argument. But in this case, you have nothing. You're little theories are irrelivant here as you really have no clue. It's a great mod. Ask anyone here thats done it.

You say all you have to do is turn yours a little faster, and you get the same result....it goes back to the same argument. All I do is turn mine a little faster just like you did, and I still win.

Don't trash everything IG, it's what gets you into hot water every single time. And don't tell me to re-read any of your posts. You basically said it doesnt do anything. Fact of the matter is that it does. If you can't handle it, leave the thread.

Jesus back to your old self again. I was really starting to like the 09KO, but I guess it was just another of the many masks that is IowaGuy.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Steller--we should be use to IG telling us how well things do or dont work based on his total lack of experience with them Let him continue on in his fantasy land, it not worth trying to educate the beligerant.[:-]

Quick Reply: 300cc first impression, ride report