Is 3000km too soon

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member

The best website I've seen for studying oil is by someone called Bob. Spend a few years on there, and pay attention to what the Tribologists say, as well as to what sunruh finds in his used oil analysis experiments in his motorcycles. You'll eventually find out what is myth, who is knowledgeable, and what actually works. Sure, there are still people that think Quaker State or Pennzoil has wax in it that will cause sludge (it's factual that there are "waxes" in oil, but, not like the old myths state), but, it's not hard to wade through the myths to get to the science, if you pay attention.

Modern oils are just so much better than they were in the past, it's as simple as staying away from Energy Conserving, use the correct viscosity, and don't try and run any of them too long in a wet-clutch system.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
Was that directed at me?
Only if you think others that have scientific proof contrary to anecdotes are idiots!

I don't know anyone on this board well enough to know who thinks what. So, no, my comments weren't directed at anyone in particular. But, just because you might be paranoid, it doesn't mean "they" are not out to get you!

I know enough to know I don't know enough...so, I haven't formed an opinion that anyone here is an idiot. Yet. And, if I do, I'll just ignore them, I'm not the kind to try and light them up....it's like trying to teach a pig to read a wristwatch: pointless, and, it irritates the pig.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
Only if you think others that have scientific proof contrary to anecdotes are idiots!

I don't know anyone on this board well enough to know who thinks what. So, no, my comments weren't directed at anyone in particular. But, just because you might be paranoid, it doesn't mean "they" are not out to get you!

I know enough to know I don't know enough...so, I haven't formed an opinion that anyone here is an idiot. Yet. And, if I do, I'll just ignore them, I'm not the kind to try and light them up....it's like trying to teach a pig to read a wristwatch: pointless, and, it irritates the pig.
I don't believe you. KLR boards getting too boring for you? You own a KLX now? Your Majesty, we're all just just stupid children and you're God almighty. I'm joking, just so you don't let that go to your head.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:35 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Blackheart, I've read many of those comments and observations about the "energy conserving" additives in synthetic oil, but I've run all manner of this type of oil with that statement on the label...mostly Mobil One...and I've never experienced a clutch problem in road bikes, dirt bikes, and DS bikes. I owned some of those bikes a long time and even kept up with some of them after selling them to someone I knew. I never saw a problem with any of them. Heck...I am neither an oil engineer or engine expert, but I can only relate to what I've done to my own bikes over the years, and I've just never had any first-hand experience to indicate a problem in this area. It almost makes sense that some automotive mileage enhancing additives could cause a wet clutch problem, but I've never experienced any. The only clutch I've ever killed was in a KLR650 that got a crankcase full of gasoline and sat that way for weeks.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
I don't believe you. KLR boards getting too boring for you? You own a KLX now?
HA! Insults taken as intended!

No, my KLR650 is my favorite bike. I just wanted something with more ground clearance and less heft for the singletrack. Getting old, you know! I just wish I could upgrade the suspension of the KLX to be as good as the KLR...

Old 08-31-2010, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Blackheart, I've read many of those comments and observations about the "energy conserving" additives in synthetic oil, but I've run all manner of this type of oil with that statement on the label...mostly Mobil One...and I've never experienced a clutch problem in road bikes, dirt bikes, and DS bikes.
I never have seen it happen either...only heard STORIES about it happening. Maybe it doesn't always matter! At least your anecdotal evidence suggests that to be true some of the time.

I bet it has something to do with the actual Energy Conserving additive itself. Some may be harmful to wet clutches, others may not adversely affect them. I simply don't know enough to intelligently speculate further.

I'm no expert, and I know I'm not, although I know some people say I come across like I THINK I am! Although I do sometimes have strong opinions that are based upon the best information I've been able to understand, those opinions can be changed at a moments notice, if science proves them to be inaccurate. I don't have a need to be right....I just have a hard time letting myths keep surviving in the face of facts that disprove them.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:04 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

HA! Insults taken as intended!

No, my KLR650 is my favorite bike. I just wanted something with more ground clearance and less heft for the singletrack. Getting old, you know! I just wish I could upgrade the suspension of the KLX to be as good as the KLR...
Yep...similar boat. I like to ride some decently rough stuff here at home and when I go out west each year. Age was starting to tell on me with the KLR650. The thing was starting to kick my butt on rougher terrain. This little KLX has been awesome in being able to tackle some really gnarly stuff with ease...especially after doing suspension mods to the KLX.

I'm curious...you mention upgrading the KLX suspension to be as good as the KLR. Do you have different forks and such on your KLR?

Old 08-31-2010, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Do you have different forks and such on your KLR?
RICOR rear IAS (Inertia Active Suspension) shock and RICOR Intiminators up front on the KLR650. This KLR would outclimb my Suzuki 350 with the improved traction...which surprises EVERYBODY that watches the difference this Inertia valve makes.

The KLX250 MAY be upgraded some day to RICOR stuff...but, they'd have to make it first. Depending upon the demand, it could happen rather soon, or, never. One thing for sure, I'd hate to upgrade to some other technology and not get the Inertia Valve technology offered by RICOR. It's Paris-Dakar tested in racing buggies, etc., and it's unbelievable how much better the traction is, as well as the ride quality.

I had it on the rear of an XR650L...it's what made me get the KLX250...the bike was just so darn fast across the desert, it scares me. It would plow over almost anything in the way, and soak it up with aplomb. I decided it would be more fun, and much less dangerous, to ride a slower, smaller bike at a decent pace, rather than bomb through the desert at hyperspeeds on the XR...and one day end up really hurt. It's just hard to explain unless you ride on a bike equipped with this technology.

The guy that invented it is the same fellow that patented the multi-link suspension that Suzuki used in the 70's...when they blew everyone away on the dirt with that upgrade. Look them up if you're interested. RICOR Shocks.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I

I'm no expert, and I know I'm not, although I know some people say I come across like I THINK I am! Although I do sometimes have strong opinions that are based upon the best information I've been able to understand, those opinions can be changed at a moments notice, if science proves them to be inaccurate. I don't have a need to be right....I just have a hard time letting myths keep surviving in the face of facts that disprove them.
That's me, except the part about changing my opinion

I can be very opinionated, am also a mechanic, engine builder, and have a lot of racing experience. The myths make me crazy, too. Should we talk about ethanol in gas?

I always used Esso XD3 0W40 (Canada only high quality synthetic) in my 2 stroke gearboxes. I loved the way they shifted with that oil. When the price went crazy a few years ago, I tried another 0 weight syn. oil. The energy conserving thing never occurred to me... until my clutch got all slippy, and grabby on me. I changed it fast, and the clutch isn't toast, but it didn't return to 100% either. It can be grabby, and inconsistent, but it doesn't slip under load.

That was my experience with it.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

RICOR rear IAS (Inertia Active Suspension) shock and RICOR Intiminators up front on the KLR650. This KLR would outclimb my Suzuki 350 with the improved traction...which surprises EVERYBODY that watches the difference this Inertia valve makes.

The KLX250 MAY be upgraded some day to RICOR stuff...but, they'd have to make it first. Depending upon the demand, it could happen rather soon, or, never. One thing for sure, I'd hate to upgrade to some other technology and not get the Inertia Valve technology offered by RICOR. It's Paris-Dakar tested in racing buggies, etc., and it's unbelievable how much better the traction is, as well as the ride quality.

I had it on the rear of an XR650L...it's what made me get the KLX250...the bike was just so darn fast across the desert, it scares me. It would plow over almost anything in the way, and soak it up with aplomb. I decided it would be more fun, and much less dangerous, to ride a slower, smaller bike at a decent pace, rather than bomb through the desert at hyperspeeds on the XR...and one day end up really hurt. It's just hard to explain unless you ride on a bike equipped with this technology.

The guy that invented it is the same fellow that patented the multi-link suspension that Suzuki used in the 70's...when they blew everyone away on the dirt with that upgrade. Look them up if you're interested. RICOR Shocks.
Yep...the '01 KLR650 I just sold this spring had aftermarket springs and the Ricor valves installed. I got the Ricor valves just a little while after they came out. Great stuff and excellent results. A friend has the bike now and also loves the Ricor setup. I had another aftermarket rear shock on that bike and was happy with it or would have considered the Ricor shock.

I think the Ricor design was an excellent match to the bigger, heavier KLR. I'm fairly sold on the Race Tech, Moto Pro, and similar revalve setups for the KLX, however, as it has already has a higher quality fork and shock that responds well to the revalve. The Ricor mod to the highly inadequate ported orifice damper in the KLR fork was night-and-day. The Ricor design really seems to help heavier bikes, I think due to the type of platform damping in the valving. I liked it on the KLR. I think Don Richardson basically took Charlie Curnutt's old idea from the 60's which was a form of platform damping for desert racing vehicles and just improved it. It's a pretty cool idea.

Quick Reply: Is 3000km too soon