2nd gear wheelies?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 2nd gear wheelies?

anybody here have a KLX that'll 2nd or 3rd gear wheelies? I'm jetted and have a slip and it takes high RPM's going about 10mph in 1st to hit it... yet i still have the stock sprocket, header, and airbox lid / snorkel

Old 07-04-2012, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

mine does but its more juced up than that

Old 07-04-2012, 04:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by toyotabuilder
mine does but its more juced up than that
what you packin foo

Old 07-04-2012, 05:08 AM
1st Gear Member

had the guy who builds my xr650r's up go at it it cost me what the BB kit does(not including parts) but it is a better bike in all areas because of it, he cleaned the head up (port& polish) cleaned the chamber up(he may have put a 300 head on i'll have to ask him), took wieght off the crank and balancer (big for making it snapy) but still smooth for street use, he found me a piston that keeps it around 250 but bumped it to 12.5:1, web cams and valves and lightened the flywheel, i have the pumper carb and full fmf megabomb and q4 and no smog stuff and the bike is fun to ride not quite an R bike but what it lacks there it makes up for in being bulletproof, cppied from another thread i didn't want to retype lol

Old 07-04-2012, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

my 331 will torque it up easily in 2nd. 3rd will wheelie but requires a bit more effort.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

curious about boring out.... always hear that it's hard on your engine and reduces engine life, is this true?

Old 07-05-2012, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WHIP-N-DIP
curious about boring out.... always hear that it's hard on your engine and reduces engine life, is this true?
Nope, some other bikes it might be but not the KLX.

The engine was originally designed as a 300. It was debored for the world market. So it is plenty beefy for a big bore.

Many members here have well past 10k on their big bores. I am sure they would have a lot more but the bikes aren't that old yet.

A wheelie on the KLX just isn't the bikes forte. It is weighted and balanced wrong for easy wheelies. Even with all the mods, it is not real easy to do. Some bikes you don't even have to try and you can do it.

Buying an orange bike is about the only cure for this.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WHIP-N-DIP
true. you should just get a bicycle.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigSky KLX
A wheelie on the KLX just isn't the bikes forte. It is weighted and balanced wrong for easy wheelies. Even with all the mods, it is not real easy to do. Some bikes you don't even have to try and you can do it.
i have no problem lifting the front and if you compare this bike to the yz450f i feel that the klx has way better ballance for what it is, i think a lot of those who are dissapointed by this bike don't really know what to be expecting from this bike when they buy it and should be looking at other bikes for what they are trying to squeeze from it and the other 90% of what this bike is capable of is being untapped because most riders don't have the skill to do it i could keep the front end up on a stock klx up for the same amount of time as i can on my xr650r will it hold the front end up from rolling on the power in 6th? no but i don't expect it to its not a 90hp desert bullet if you want that buy a 450 or 530 or a 990 not a 250 its an amazing bike and i love it but i'm not expecting to win baja on it

Old 07-05-2012, 11:12 AM
1st Gear Member

BIG BORE!!!!

Here's a vid I took a couple months ago - right in the beginning of the video- that's a 3rd gear wheelie.

When I had the 250 it was tough to get the wheel up.. Not any more

Quick Reply: 2nd gear wheelies?