250s wheelies?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 250s wheelies?

Whats up guys i am new to this forum. ive had 3 other dirtbikes before and im 17. I bought my 2009 klx250s brand new and a week later i wrecked and broke my wrist. lol. During the week i had it i was only able to do a short wheelie on it. Anybody have any tips on how to ride a wheelie and shift through the gears? thanks for the tips. later

Old 09-11-2008, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

ahhh man welcome to KF,,, sorry to hear about your wreck least yoru still alive...

Wheelies on the KLX well I find it hard to wheelie on mine. I can only do short wheelies.. it seems like the bike is fairly heavy in the front.. but from what Ive gathered a few mods will get you wheelying good lol thats not even a word lmao anyways the right sprocket setting, a jet kit, and an exhaust should do the trick

Old 09-11-2008, 05:33 PM
1st Gear Member

the trick is getting it high enough to find the balance point- from there it all skills.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Alright, thanks guys i appreciate the help, guess im gonna have to save up some dough

Old 09-11-2008, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

There a lot easier if you can do them in a higher gear, they are less "twitchy". When I do them in 3rd gear on the street they are a lot easier to ride than in 2nd, although I still don't pull them up to balance point. And that is pulling them up in 3rd not shifting to 3rd.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

13-45 gearing... and practice...

Old 09-12-2008, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

It is possible for the KLX to do wheelies. Thou I try not to, but it has accured even when I didn't want it. On pavement, a good dump of the clutch at the right RPM will get you going. On dirt, twisty turns, heavy on the throttle at low speeds can lift the wheel.

I prefer to leave the tires on the ground where they belong. First wheelie I did nearly tossed me completely backwards off the KLX. Luckily, my legs are strong enough to catch the KLX before it went completely back side down.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:36 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

a good back tire is key to wheelying the KLX. the stock one doesn't offer enough traction and just spins most of the time. when wheelying, you want maximum traction. stock gearing works just fine too.
but even with that said, the KLX is a 'pig' of a dirtbike meaning it's really heavy. at over 300lbs. with full tank of gas, oil, and coolant it's not easy to do wheelies on this bike. of course, more power equals easier wheelies. the stock carb also sucks for wheelying purposes. to do a good wheelie, you need instant snap that only a pumper carb can provide. no matter how good you have your stock carb jetted, it's not going to come close to the instant response of a pumper carb. but then, a pumper carb sucks on the road so there's your dual-sport tradeoff.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Not sure how you crashed, but maybe you might want to figure out why and how to avoid it again rather than learning to wheelie.

Just sayin'

Old 09-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
the KLX is a 'pig' of a dirtbike meaning it's really heavy. at over 300lbs.

I recall someone weighing thier bike ready to ride, just over 270 lbs, maybe close to 275.... Dont think that 300lbs is right.

Wheelie-ing improves your offroad riding also, learing to get over things, like a down tree 3-6" kinda at an angle across the trail, the front tire will usually slide along it, but if you can get the front tire up over it the back will usually track it, may slide a little but the side ***** will kick it over... and in the whoops, learning how to ride them is key, i find my self with the front tire off the ground alot in the woods, not necissiarily a fully 12 o'clock wheelie... but it helps, learn to get it off the ground a foot or so and u will be amazed how it helps.

Quick Reply: 250s wheelies?