250s shock charging valve conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 250s shock charging valve conversion

2012 KLX 250s shock uses the needle system to charge the shock with nitrogen.
Has anyone converted it to a schrader valve?
I'm thinking the stock cap can be drilled and tapped to accept a schrader valve.but don't know if there is enough material for the threads to bite.
Or
Is there a aftermarket cap that can be used?
I'd prefer to modify the existing cap.

Thanks
Rider M-14

Old 09-25-2018, 07:05 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Geez, looking on Bike Bandit I don't see that any internals on those later shocks are shown as available like the pics for my '06. That said, if your cap is retained by a circlip, I'm sure the design is similar to mine with a Schrader valve. There's nothing high tech at this location point. Is your reservoir cap made out of steel or aluminum? Mine is aluminum so it's decently thick. If it's steel, it's hard to tell how thick it will be for tapping threads. Regardless, I'd say you'll be able to thread it or use a sealed o-ring or epoxied Schrader valve. There's not much stress involved with this valve, so it's not like it has to be a head bolt level of integrity. Being capable of sealing decently high air pressure will be the most important.

I'd go for it, as I find those needle designs ridiculous. I just run air serviced via a mountainbike shock pump since I'm not doing 40-minute motos or 30-mile enduro stints between stopping anymore, so I check my shock bladder pressure occasionally. And I always check and adjust for different altitudes and extreme temp differences.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply
I haven't removed the cap yet because I don't have any way to fill it if I can't tap it and install a schrader valve. I believe it's aluminum but not 100%.
Only one way to find out I guess.
I'm hoping someone has been down this road before and has an answer for me.
I have done a little research on the subject and found nothing helpful.
Will report back when I get the time to tear into it.

Thanks
RM14

Old 09-26-2018, 03:17 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

It's a bit disappointing that it doesn't look like internal parts are available for those shocks like the '06/'07 models. If yours has a circlip holding that cap in place, I'd be confident that you'll be able to install a Schrader valve.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd be concerned about getting an air tight seal with the installation of the Schrader valve at around 150 lbs pressure. I'd suggest that you look for a used Kayaba shock that already has the Schrader valve and use the cap from it. The position of the reservoir is different on the KLXs compared to most other bikes but it should be easy to find another shock with the same diameter cap. And that way, you don't mess up your stock cap.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 09-26-2018, 03:57 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

It might also help to see a pic of the needle style cap. If there's basically nothing different in the design that uses the circlip retaining design, it should not be that hard to employ a Schrader valve. The good thing is that if your cap is retained by a circlip, you can remove it and inspect it. If there is an issue on the material or integrity that clearly suggests you not try to install a Schrader, then you haven't destroyed anything. The shock could probably benefit from an oil and bladder pressure service anyway...presuming these needle style valves allow servicing...I've never had one.

On the pressure inside the bladder, yes, it can run quite high. Mine is 175psi static, no load. However, a Schrader valve decently installed will retain really high pressures safely. I've installed them for different applications, some as high as 300psi. My suggestion that involved epoxy was not using the epoxy as the primary retaining agent but as the primary sealing agent. You'd still want a nut or other foolproof retainer on the underside of the cap.

Now, there are quite a few options for schraders. The actual "Schrader" term applies to the inner valve and not necessarily the whole housing that contains the valve. So you can find pipe thread styles, straight threaded styles, rubber grooved designs (like your common automotive wheel Schrader units), and many others. The straight, non-pipe, threaded styles are very common for a lot of industrial and mountainbike suspension applications. If your cap is not thick enough for pipe thread depth, a straight thread design with a nut and epoxied in place for absolute sealing would be the most likely option.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Racetech makes a replacement cap that has a schrader valve.. I'm running one on my '09, so it should fit your '12. I skipped the nitrogen and just use a shock pump and set it around 160psi

Let me look up the part number and I'll edit my post when I find it....

Edit: Ok, this is the part they list... SMRC 46002 (I didn't by from RT, I was thinking it was $22, looks like current price is around $29)

Amazon Amazon

Don't trust my number.. plug you info into RT's site and check at the bottom for "Rear Shock Maintenance and Repair"

Last edited by Abramsgunner; 09-26-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:51 PM
1st Gear Member

The shocks on my truck use a schrader valve that threads in and is sealed with an O ring. So I know it's doable if there is enough meat for the threads to engage.

Abramsgunner, thanks for the lead I will definately give Race Tech a call, looks like 39.00 dollars. Thing is, I already have a valve that I could use and I'm a cheap bastard.

I'll have time tomorrow to take the shock out and see what I have.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 09-26-2018, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

riderm14, Can't hurt to try.. if you mess yours up beyond repair, message me and I'll send you my stock cap. I'm pretty sure I bought the RT cap on fleabay for less than $30 shipped.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I just made a tool using a 22ga hypodermic needle epoxied to a Schrader valve fitting. That allowed me to insert the needle through the seal and then connect that to a hi-pressure bike pump.

Quick Reply: 250s shock charging valve conversion