250S In Pennsylvania

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 250S In Pennsylvania

Hello everyone. My name is Will Shoemaker. I live in the small town of Belle Vernon in Pennsylvania. I have been saving up for a dirtbike since I was 12 and am now 14. I have 4 grand saved and my dad said he would pay the rest for the dualsport (he wants to ride it[:@]) I was wondering about a few rules in PA. I've heard that the mirrors and front turn signals are a must have for road use. Also, after you turn 16 and get your drivers license and not just the permit, you have to wait 90 days before getting a motorcycle license? Also can the stock 250 tear up the woods and hit the street for a mile to get to the next trail?

Sorry for the questions,
Will

Old 06-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 250S In Pennsylvania

Hey Will, welcome to the site. Not sure about the rules in PA but I can answer that you and your dad will both love the bike. It does great on the highway and with a few mods you will be ripping it up on the trails.I have ridden mine 60 miles on the highway and it cruises just great, although even better with the sprocket change from 14-42 to the better setup of13-45. Stock 6th gear is pretty low on power, but then again you might now be a heavy rider so it might work for you. I wonder a couple of things. How tall are you? What experience do you and your dad have with motorcycles? And also you might both consider the MSF beginners class to help you if you are new to the sport. Also if you are a shorter rider, take a look at the Yamaha XT225, I bought a 2006 model for my wife who is 5-7 and weighs 120 and she can just about get both feet flat on the ground. She loves the bike, and I ride it too sometimes, it even packs my 6-1 260lb frame around. Let us know what you decide, and good luck.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm 6'0" - 6'1". I weigh around 160 give or take a few lbs. I use to have a yz80 that did about 58mph. I havent rode in about a year, but I can still do it. My dad has had bikes all his life since he was 5. He is only going to use it maybe like 4 times a year whenever he doesnt feel like driving his Ninja. I am 14, (I'm not sure if it is allowed to talk about illegal road riding or not, but i guess i'm going to find out) and my brother said that If I don't break any rules while on the road and we keep the plate updated, they can't pull me over just for the fun of it. But it will only see a little bit of on-road activity, maybe 20 miles a week or so. I don't really want to do any modifications without my dad there. He has been a mechanic for about 25 years and has been working on motors since he was about 7, so about 38 years.Like I said, idk what he did to the 80, I just know it was fast [8D].

thanks deej!
Will

Old 06-20-2007, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

its all opinion will..
heres my 2 cents..
stock the bike is very underpowered and over geared.. id say all but the biggest of novices will not be satisfied with stock power (altho i can guarantee you their is people out their happy with it stock) with that said... once some mods are done to this bike its a blast! lower the gearing, and open the airpipes up. an aftermarket pipe coupled with airbox removal, aftermarket filter and rejet turn this bike into a woods rocket! the suspension is on the soft side tho so if your planning on airin it out alot plan on a suspension upgrade. by the way i weigh 165 lbs.
dont let my posting of its cons dissuade you. ANY machine you buy will have pros and cons. like i said, with the proper upgrades this bike is a total blast, just dont expect an MX bike off the showroom floor.

edit: as to the riding it with no license.. id say dont do it.. not that im an angel tryin to preach
but.. the cops almost always nearly slam their front bumper off of the ground when they see me coming thinkin its a dirtbike. cops dont need a reason to pull u over contrary to laws... doesnt take much for one to lie and say he saw u driving erraticaly etc , then its ur word against his. itd only be a matter of time before u run into one that had a stale doghnut for breakfast and is in a bad mood.
good luck with ur purchase and let us know how it goes.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey man you just south of me i live just north of pittsburgh, the cops do pull you over just for "fun" i got pulled over on Sat on the bike they got a call that there were kids on dirtbikes.... so he pulled me over......

Old 06-20-2007, 10:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to call my local dealer to see if they have one, if not. Do you think they could maybe order one?

Old 06-21-2007, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! Its fits perfect! I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow! They are putitng the plates on it so my dad can drive it home

Old 06-21-2007, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

congrats and dont forget to start reasearchin ur mods[8D]
p.s. wheres the pics?

Old 06-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow that was fast, have fun and post a picture of the smile on your faces, after you take of the helmets I'm sure you will be wearing.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Will Shoe

I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT! Its fits perfect! I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow! They are putitng the plates on it so my dad can drive it home
Welcome and congrats
cheers hatto

Quick Reply: 250S In Pennsylvania