250 bogging in a certain RPM range.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 02:45 AM
Default 250 bogging in a certain RPM range.

Hi all, brand new to the forum. I bought this 2009 KLX250s a little over a month ago. My son took it up North to do some riding on Sunday. Yesterday he went riding out back on the property and the engine was starting to do what I call lagging. at around 4500rpm to about 5500-6000rpm the engine wants to stall almost like it is low on fuel. When it is above and below these rpm's the engine seems to be fine. The bike has 1300 miles on it. We replaced the plug and the air filter. My son noticed what I guess is some sort of valve/pollution device between the radiator and the head. It is round with a hose on both ends but has a tube pointing straight up that has nothing on it. He found if he puts his finger over the top of it it seem to rectify the problem. I need help because we are headed up North come the weekend and need the bike running.

Last edited by Brian Anderson; 08-22-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I think you're looking at the smog equipment and part has become disconnected. Either reconnect, or remove and plug all the connections (EPA violation). Here's an early thread on removing the smog stuff. There are others around.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ompleted-8886/

Old 08-22-2012, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

yank the smog crap it'll run like a top

Old 08-22-2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I think you're looking at the smog equipment and part has become disconnected. Either reconnect, or remove and plug all the connections (EPA violation). Here's an early thread on removing the smog stuff. There are others around.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ompleted-8886/
We have looked for a loose hose and can not find one. Looking at the pipe barb on the top it doesn't look like it ever had a hose on it,but I can't believe that's the way it is. It could suck almost anything in. Could I just put a cap over that fitting and call it good? I would hate to burn a valve or put a hole in the piston because it is to lean. Back to looking at it again

Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 PM

After looking at it closer this morning there was never a hose on this port. within a 1/4" above it is a wire terminal from some other part, this would not allow any sort of hose on this and like I've said before it doesn't look like anything has ever been on it. So back to square one. I believe a carb cleaning is due.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Can you get us some pictures of the open port? Is this a California bike?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, post a pic if you can. This just doesn't sound right. Have you looked at exploded parts diagrams available on-line from so many places that sell OEM parts? I just looked at the one from carlcycle.com (my local dealer) and maybe that would help.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:57 PM

Well here is a picture.
IMG_0058.jpg picture by youofem - Photobucket
That tube is almost completely under that wire. The carb cleaning is going on as I wright this. Taking of the float bowl found some black specks in the bottom. The brass fitting that goes up the middle of the carb had a piece of crap in it ( thin and flat ) One more question is what is the purpose of a couple of pink hoses that come out of the carb and hang out the bottom? Also looking at the fuel filter it is as clean as a whistle. So how did the crap get in there?

Last edited by Brian Anderson; 08-22-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member

To be clear, you're looking at the port (tube) at the top of the cylindrical unit marked "85A" and pointing up toward what I think is the coil? Just looked at the EPD for this, 2009 model, and it shows nothing connected to this. The large tube on the bottom should connect to the rectangular air-injection on cylinder head (injects air into the exhaust for cleaner burn and hotter pipes), and the other large tube in back to the air box (source of air). And it looks like the smaller one in front going down to the carb. We need some 2009+ owners to chime in here to confirm.

Is the carb needle still properly installed? Did it fall out?

Last edited by IDRIDR; 08-22-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:13 PM

Yep it has that one barb on it.

Quick Reply: 250 bogging in a certain RPM range.