2022 KLX300 Lowering Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 05:31 PM
Default 2022 KLX300 Lowering Question

New to this forum. Hello to all....Glad to be here.
I'm taking delivery of a 2022 KLX300 D/S tomorrow. There's a good chance that I'll be lowering it (with links) 1" or maybe 1 1/2".
Can anyone give me advise on the kickstand? After I lowered my DR650, I installed a Soupy's kickstand. But.... I don't see that he makes one for the KLX300 D/S.
a. will I need to shorten it? If so, b. is there anything readily available for doing so? c. Has anyone done a DIY solution?

Thank you.

Old 02-14-2022, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoeysDad
New to this forum. Hello to all....Glad to be here.
I'm taking delivery of a 2022 KLX300 D/S tomorrow. There's a good chance that I'll be lowering it (with links) 1" or maybe 1 1/2".
Can anyone give me advise on the kickstand? After I lowered my DR650, I installed a Soupy's kickstand. But.... I don't see that he makes one for the KLX300 D/S.
a. will I need to shorten it? If so, b. is there anything readily available for doing so? c. Has anyone done a DIY solution?

Thank you.
I lowered my klx300sm front and rear for an unsprung seat height of 30 inches... and even lower when I sit on it.

The kickstand was way too long so I cut it shorter and welded a washer on the bottom for a foot. It works great.

I lowered the front by raising the forks and attaching lightweight alloy clip on racing bars directly onto the exposed tops of the fork tubes.

My bike is SO comfortable to ride, and it handles corners really well with the chassis and rider both positioned lower down between the axles. This lowered center of gravity really stablizes the bike.

Old 02-14-2022, 11:21 PM

tooter: Really! It's now like an XT250 or TW200 height-wise, but on steroids!

I've read your posts and am extremely impressed. You seem to have a wealth of knowledge and information.

I'm very interested in some of the things you've done with the bike. Particularly your exhaust setup.
You mentioned an FMF Megabomb header. Are the rest of the exhaust components off the shelf? Losing weight up high is something I really want to do.
Where was the primary source(s) of your weight reduction?
Are you using the stock ECU? If so, does it tolerate your intake and exhaust changes?

I sold my DR650 and went to the KLX because I've gotten up there in years and have a hard time picking the beast up when it falls on a rough section of trail. So, I'm real anxious to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible.

Question(s): How high can I raise the forks without modifying the stock handlebar arrangement?
Did you fabricate the clip-on bar attachments or do they come with the bars that you used.
Do the clip-on bars have any negative effect on handling?

Thanks very much for your reply.

Old 02-15-2022, 06:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoeysDad
tooter: Really! It's now like an XT250 or TW200 height-wise, but on steroids!

I've read your posts and am extremely impressed. You seem to have a wealth of knowledge and information.

I'm very interested in some of the things you've done with the bike. Particularly your exhaust setup.
You mentioned an FMF Megabomb header. Are the rest of the exhaust components off the shelf? Losing weight up high is something I really want to do.
Where was the primary source(s) of your weight reduction?
Are you using the stock ECU? If so, does it tolerate your intake and exhaust changes?

I sold my DR650 and went to the KLX because I've gotten up there in years and have a hard time picking the beast up when it falls on a rough section of trail. So, I'm real anxious to keep the centre of gravity as low as possible.

Question(s): How high can I raise the forks without modifying the stock handlebar arrangement?
Did you fabricate the clip-on bar attachments or do they come with the bars that you used.
Do the clip-on bars have any negative effect on handling?

Thanks very much for your reply.
The KLX feels like a much smaller bike when it's lower.
Just searched for FMF Megabomb headers and couldn't find any. They appear to be sold out again. Delkevic slip on exhausts are the best bang for your buck. They can be loud without inserts, but they're light. This one is just $229 and free shipping off ebay.

Delkevic 9 inch oval slip on
Exhaust is the biggest weight loser, then rear fender delete, LED taillight, LED blinkers, LED headlight, clip on bars, emissions system delete.

You can see from the riding pic in the previous post just how low to the ground the bike sits with me on it. Putting the combined weight of both bike and rider down lower between the axles makes for superb handling. I live in the middle of a canyon so no matter which direction I go, it's on 2 lane winding roads. So I want a comfortable bike that handles well in corners. I'm 5'5", 73 years old with short legs, so when I'm stopped I like both feet flat on the ground. That tippytoe crap doesn't cut it at my age.

Since clip on bars attach directly onto the fork tubes, handling is at least as positive as regular bars if not more. You can raise the forks until the tops of the tubes just touch the stock bars which is about half an inch or so. I lowered the back with 2.25 Koubalinks and spinning the rear shock lockrings up to the top. when lowering you always want the rear level with, or lower than the front, as this increases fork rake and front wheel trail to insure safe handling.

Think about not going too low if you ride off road. I only road ride so ground clearance is not an issue.

Yes, I use the stock ECU with the stock 02 feedback sensor. It's not a problem for me because I use my bike for basic utility transportation in my work which is always within closed loop fuel management parameters (3,000rpms to 5,000rpms).

I did a baseline dyno with just a slip on exhaust and no other changes for comparison later on. 25hp.

Last edited by tooter; 02-15-2022 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-15-2022, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

That can is nearly always quite a bit cheaper from Delkevic direct, and I think they have a holiday discount once a year. I love mine on the KLX and the VFR.

Old 02-15-2022, 03:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bmart
That can is nearly always quite a bit cheaper from Delkevic direct, and I think they have a holiday discount once a year. I love mine on the KLX and the VFR.
Delkevic IS that ebay seller.
I'm pretty sure you won't find their exhausts cheaper anywhere else.

Old 02-15-2022, 03:30 PM
1st Gear Member

You're missing the point. If you go to their site, they are frequently cheaper than via eBay. This is true for most companies as they get to avoid the robbery, I mean fees that eBay currently chargers.

Old 02-15-2022, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

You're missing the point. If you go to their site, they are frequently cheaper than via eBay. This is true for most companies as they get to avoid the robbery, I mean fees that eBay currently chargers.
Ok.

Show me how the 9 inch oval is cheaper than $229 with free shipping.

I'll wait for your response.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

What? Reread my post. "they are frequently cheaper than via eBay" Mine were both cheaper, one a lot cheaper ordering direct. If you don't like money, don't shop around. It affects not one bit. Just trying to help folks who may be buying something. (I like money!)

Old 02-15-2022, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

What? Reread my post. "they are frequently cheaper than via eBay" Mine were both cheaper, one a lot cheaper ordering direct. If you don't like money, don't shop around. It affects not one bit. Just trying to help folks who may be buying something. (I like money!)
You have the opportunity to prove me wrong.

Show me those cheaper prices.

Quick Reply: 2022 KLX300 Lowering Question