2018 klx250 running a bit rough after new exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 08:39 AM
MXM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
I don't know what you call "really improves power", but a full FMF (etc) exhaust system, lidless airbox, and EJK fueler gives you a "whole new bike" to ride. We don't yet have dyno charts to show whether it's a 15%, 20%, or more, increase in peak power levels but the increases over the entire upper half of the powerband create a whole new animal.
Here you go. Not mine.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Well Well.. I wish we knew if other mods (fueler, airbox, etc) were also used to get that 15% across the board increase.. I'm thinking not - as the stock slipon is tremendously restrictive and just a FMF slipon would be expected to make this increase...

Remember, EPA testing DOES NOT involve WOT operations - OEM's are able to set WOT fueling to whatever they want - which, in many cases, is actually too rich for best performance (but provides engine protection, therefore reduced warrantee claims).. Increasing the exhaust efficiency with a slipon (and with stock airbox) would likely already be fueled well, at WOT ONLY. Part throttle ops could see some leanness - as his apparently did..

One could expect our "normal" up to 30% increase with a full FMF exhaust system (or Barker system, etc), lidless airbox, MCM, and EJK fueler..

Remember, in the USA, the EJK does not (any longer) deactivate the O2 system (closed loop operations). And they no longer sell the O2 sensor bypass connector. Damned EPA !!
So, if no O2 terminator plug is used, the ECM will self-readjust the fueling to stock specs, usually within 100 miles of riding, for low performance/cruising operations..

If you do not have or intend to use a O2 bypass terminator with your EJK fueler, or don't intend to use a fueler, the slipon you use must have a O2 bung so that you can reinstall your O2 sensor

Point is, use the EJK and mod away ! If you can get a-hold of a O2 terminator plug, you'll have full control of fueling, if not then you'll have control (apparently) of all performance fueling with low performance ops (cruising, putt putting, etc) being still controlled by the ECM through the input of the (installed) O2 sensor... Either way, you're good-to-go..

Last edited by Klxster; 07-10-2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

good information to know. i have a 2018 klx as well, which comes with EFI.

Looking into the EJK kit. Seems interesting. If anyone has one for sale please let me know and i'll think about it. Not sure if i'm fully ready to start modding my klx just yet but it's something to chew on for a little bit.

Last edited by VWJETTY; 07-11-2019 at 01:30 PM.