2018 klx250 larger fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 03:20 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by VWJETTY
I think stock is 2 gallons. Probably easily get 120+ miles per tank I would say. I have a 2018 KLX as well and I haven't even gotten around to finishing the old stale gas in it currently so I have very little input here but it seems ok for now.
120 miles does fine for most situations, but if you really go off in the hinterlands of Utah and other venues that have huge loops with no fuel availability, you find the need for more fuel capacity. I've had lots of days pushing near to 200 miles before arriving back at a remote camp or a location with a gas station. Plus, some off road riding starts pushing fuel mileage down into the 50's or worse depending on conditions. There are all kinds of locations out west that will require way, way more fuel than 2 gallons. Granted, most probably don't use their KLX's for those scenarios. Running out of fuel sucks.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
120 miles does fine for most situations, but if you really go off in the hinterlands of Utah and other venues that have huge loops with no fuel availability, you find the need for more fuel capacity. I've had lots of days pushing near to 200 miles before arriving back at a remote camp or a location with a gas station. Plus, some off road riding starts pushing fuel mileage down into the 50's or worse depending on conditions. There are all kinds of locations out west that will require way, way more fuel than 2 gallons. Granted, most probably don't use their KLX's for those scenarios. Running out of fuel sucks.
Oh ok, yeah I guess that's definitely different from my situation here in Virginia. I'm usually in the city but I prefer to be in the woods riding trails on the weekend. So fuel isn't really an issue for me. Occasionally I'll take it out to the water where we duck hunt which is a ways out but it's still less than 20 miles in so it's not so bad. Couldn't you just use a rack and slack a spare fuel jug in back. I've mounted an old 50 cal army ammo can on the back of mine (to match the matrix camo theme) and I can probably mount an extra thing for fuel if need be.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by VWJETTY
I think stock is 2 gallons. Probably easily get 120+ miles per tank I would say. I have a 2018 KLX as well and I haven't even gotten around to finishing the old stale gas in it currently so I have very little input here but it seems ok for now.
At freeway speeds, I get 80 miles till bike sputters to a stop. I had a rotopax with me which is why I was willing to find out.

I think a 3 gal tank is still worth it. 120 mile freeway speed range is perfect for me. After 100 miles, I need to take a break.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:07 AM
Default Where to find this tank for 2018 klx 250??????

Can’t see to find any parts for this bike AT ALL. really want the larger fuel tank with screw cap. Could some one give me a part number or link?

Old 01-05-2020, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

any 09-14 ims gas tank should work, check out ims website

Old 01-08-2020, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I’ve only seen the IMS for the EFI models. If there’s another out there (more than the 2.7 IMS), I’m interested too. To me, 2.7 isn’t worth the price or effort. I carry a rotopax on a PMR rack. Not ideal, but good bang for effort/price.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

https://www.imsproducts.com/Products...=true&tyd=true

Not looking good on the Acerbis front.

Old 08-30-2020, 03:49 PM

Warning noob question here: Does the 2018 at least have a reserve fuel switch or do we just get the low fuel indicator light? I think the answer is no but maybe I overlooked it in my searching.

I'm in the same club it appears - wanting a larger tank and the IMS not being much of a gain for the effort/cost. Bummer Acerbis hasn't delivered. Have a 1 gallon rotopax myself and/or bringing some tubing along in my repair kit so I can siphon some off my friends larger tank when mine runs dry.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

No reserve. My fuel light comes on with about .5 left in the tank. I get 110 out of a tank +/-.

Toph

Old 09-06-2020, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member

i too would like a bigger tank but 300 beans for .7 more gallons seems steep to me.....

Quick Reply: 2018 klx250 larger fuel tank