2018 KLX 250 Tuner question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 03:32 PM
Default 2018 KLX 250 Tuner question

Hello and thanks for reading. I'm new to the forum as of today and this is my first post.

I have searched the forum for information about Tuners and I only see threads talking about tuners in relation with upgrades to exhaust or intake (snorkel).
I want to know, would I have much to gain from an EJK tuner on my stock bike? I know they are tuned to be lean from factory. Would it be worth it? Also, could I install the EJK tuner with o2 bypass on my stock bike then upgrade intake and exhaust later down the road?

Thank you for any input or direction that you could give me. Please also, forgive my ignorance if there is already a thread about this. I haven't been able to find it if there is.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:20 PM

Good? Bad? Pointless?
I just want to do a few things before I take this thing to the Kentucky mountains next month. 8000 acres of trails. Watch out for black bears!

Old 09-10-2019, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

With FI being new to the KLX it seems there will need to be "pioneers" willing to try the tuners that are available and report the results to the masses.
I'm sure the information will be available in the future if you want to wait. Or, you could jump in and try a tuner yourself.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:08 PM

I have a 2019 KLX 250 and I'll probably be putting the EJK tuner on my stock bike as well, with the idea that I'll be upgrading the exhaust a little later. However, I'm not expecting any difference in performance between installing the EJK and when I upgrade the exhaust. Basically just getting ready for a FMF Q4. I'm not a mechanic, but a mechanic friend of mine is good with this way forward also.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:15 PM

From what I understand, the EJK comes with the o2 bypass that they say you have to install as well. If you bypass the o2 then you don't really have to buy the new style FMF Q4 with o2 bung.
Then they also want you to block the PAIR valve.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:10 PM

Do they talk about how to block the PAIR valve ?

Old 09-18-2019, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I installed the EJK after first 150 miles (90% trail riding) along with the KDX snorkel, FMF slip on, and oil change. I’m still experimenting with EJK settings but I’ll say the improvement is VERY noticeable. It’s not the same bike. To address original question, some minor improvement MAY happen with EJK on a stock setup but I didn’t bother to try it. If you check the website, EJK initial settings for a stock bike are very small fuel changes only above 1900 rpms. Initial settings for stage one vary based on air box lid set up, but are more aggressive and cover all rpms. I’d say try it on stock setup and let us know. Definitely worth buying if you’re planning future mods.

Old 09-19-2019, 12:11 AM

How was the O2 sensor handled in your case ? Keep it ? Disable it ?

Old 09-19-2019, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by srgray99
How was the O2 sensor handled in your case ? Keep it ? Disable it ?
I tried it with the 02 sensor functioning and the base settings. It ran great. I then tried with the O2 bypass and it also ran great. I’m currently experimenting with the EJK settings with O2 sensor hooked up. Results are excellent. Fuel adjustments are in effect whenever in open loop (when it’s most important) and who knows how much it’s trimming back the fuel when in closed loop? I guess in theory I’m burning slightly less fuel when it goes closed loop...and maybe a little more heat...maybe more decel pop? Overall it’s running great. Last thing I’ll try, once I’m happy with settings, is bypass the O2 again and see if it’s noticeable. I’m not going to do anything with the PAIR valve since it does nothing to performance, just prevents decel pop. Decel pop is not excessive and sounds cool IMO.

Old 10-26-2019, 06:50 PM

google Smart Moto...they have a line up of 4 items that will save a lot of innovation and machining on your part.

Quick Reply: 2018 KLX 250 Tuner question