2018 KLX 250 Suspension Settings

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 05:27 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Deej, my ol' buddy with the clean '06, that's like saying: 'I'm afraid if I did try sex, I would not really like it.'

Some folks are afraid to try sex, but after trying it, they find it's quite pleasant. Much the same as a properly sprung and tuned motorcycle. Sex.
Yeah clearly that's the same. LOL

Just messing with ya buddy, either I've had too much coffee or I'm stoked that this is my Friday, either way, its alllllllllllll good!!! Hahahaha Have a great weekend!

Old 11-18-2019, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Trued to adjust the Suspension today. Got the 2018 KLX and found out the front fork clicks 22 times. According to the Manual there should be only 16 clicks. Newer model got more clicks?

Old 11-27-2019, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Babo King
Trued to adjust the Suspension today. Got the 2018 KLX and found out the front fork clicks 22 times. According to the Manual there should be only 16 clicks. Newer model got more clicks?
Repair manual says that both, the fork and the shock, may click more times than the effective range. All clicks beyond 16 do nothing.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Babo King
Mine is an Aussie 2018 and it has 22 clicks. My manual also says it should be 22.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Has anyone tried 0 wt or 2.5 wt oil? I'm running 5 wt with heavier springs, compression clickers 15 clicks out and still get spikes or wrist stings on the never ending stutter/braking bumps on the gravel National Forest Roads. I know I need to bite the bullet for gold valves but the Race Tech certified suspension guy says he never uses them, suggested lighter weight oil...

Old 02-13-2020, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Consensus is that the stock valves can't move enough oil to take the edge off sharp hits. Using lighter oil may help but will also reduce rebound which is non-adjustable.

I went with Gold Valves and have been very happy with the results. Installation was not difficult and there are several related youtube vids out there that help. I found a set on clearance for about $110 if my memory is correct.

At singletrack speeds, my forks will now absorb running over a 4 to 5 inch diameter tree branch in the trail without upsetting the front end or punishing me (I was looking for 'plush').

Old 02-13-2020, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks a ton AG. I wasn't sure if that was something I could tackle myself. If I can do myself cost would be way down (and I have a birthday coming up haha). No special tools required? I'll check some youtube vids so a reply is not necessary (boss is out today).

Old 02-13-2020, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Way back when, member zomby woof claimed to get good results with different weight fork oil. You may try searching for his post(s).

I went with gold valves.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Ha Ha, I remember him with the Frank Zappa icon. I see him on Thumper Talk from time to time... Hmm, I will see if I can find, Thanks ID!

Old 02-14-2020, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by reinigef
Thanks a ton AG. I wasn't sure if that was something I could tackle myself. If I can do myself cost would be way down (and I have a birthday coming up haha). No special tools required? I'll check some youtube vids so a reply is not necessary (boss is out today).
It is nice to have a rattle gun... There is a bolt on the bottom of the fork that holds the cartridge in and using an impact gun makes taking it apart a breeze. I use an electric model from HF I bought for the lug nuts on my vehicles. The bolt is a hex head, 14mm most likely.

When it comes time to put it back together, it is handy to have a "fork cartridge holder" so you can torque the bolt to the correct spec without the cartridge spinning in the fork leg. I found a cheap one somewhere for about $25 I think. When I get a chance, I'll try and remember/find where I got it.

You also need a small file to remove the threads that are mushroomed over the nuts holding the valve bodies together.

That is about it for special tools.

Quick Reply: 2018 KLX 250 Suspension Settings