2018 KLX 250 Suspension Settings

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2018 KLX 250 Suspension Settings

I'm about to adjust the Suspension on my new Bike.
Is it true that the standard settings are set for a 150lb driver? What you guys recommend for a 185 lbs driver?
Newbie question: Can i just start clicking on the suspension or has the Wheel to be in the Air?

Thanks!

Old 11-04-2019, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

If your planning on riding fast, you will need new springs, IMO. Front forks especially.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Babo,
What kind of riding are you looking to do?
Some in your weight range find the stock suspension serviceable. Others don't.
In the FAQs linked in my sig line, search "bruce's suspension" and also read the other threads under sag adjustment. That should get you started.
If you start adjusting clickers, know where you started so you can get back there after messing things all up. Experimenting is good.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 11-04-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm with durielk... new fork springs are in order. I've experimented with several spring weights and have decided that Racetech's suggestions aren't too far off. If I had it to do over again, I would run Racetech's calculator and pick springs one step softer that they recommend.

To get the best from the fork, you'll also want to revalve with a kit like Racetech Gold Valves or one of the other options out there. Well worth the cost. The shock is not bad in stock form.

You can change the clickers with the wheel on the ground... it just turns a needle to allow or restrict oil flow in the valve body.

Old 11-06-2019, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks i will. So first sag then clickers. im riding street sometimes light trails

Old 11-06-2019, 09:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Babo,
What kind of riding are you looking to do?
Some in your weight range find the stock suspension serviceable. Others don't.
In the FAQs linked in my sig line, search "bruce's suspension" and also read the other threads under sag adjustment. That should get you started.
If you start adjusting clickers, know where you started so you can get back there after messing things all up. Experimenting is good.
I think Bruce'sSuspension site is offline. Cant find it... Planet KLX isnt online neither

Old 11-06-2019, 11:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Definitely set your sag, but at your wt, it is going to be difficult to hit the sweet spot. In the rear, you will probably just need a new spring.
If your just street/light trail riding, you could live with your present setup. I would move the clickers all the way firm as the first step and see if you like it.
If you intend to open it up on high speed bumpy dirt, you will definitely need professional help in the front, not me. I hired the work done, too complicated to mess with once.

Old 11-06-2019, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Babo King
I think Bruce'sSuspension site is offline. Cant find it... Planet KLX isnt online neither
If you clicked the link in the FAQs, you should find Bruce. It's archived here: https://web.archive.org/web/20130907...on.com/kb1.htm

Very likely if you set your race sag (with you on bike), you'll find that static sag (unloaded) will be less than one inch, indicating that your spring is too light.
If you're riding street and light trails at an easy pace, the stock suspension may perform adequately. If you're riding aggressively, look first to heavier fork and shock springs as mentioned above. Proper spring weight goes a long ways.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Talking

150 lb rider....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who are these 150 lb riders? 6th graders? Hahahaha I bought my bike back on November of 05, and I weighed 220, never changed anything except maxed out the settings. I learned to ride the bike as it, since then I have ....uh...(clears throat) gained a few more lbs, and I'm still not going to change anything. I'm afraid if I did re-spring it, I would not really like it. And besides, it's not like I'm jumping it, and the corners are easily handled by my awesome skillz.

Old 11-06-2019, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I'm afraid if I did re-spring it, I would not really like it.

Deej, my ol' buddy with the clean '06, that's like saying: 'I'm afraid if I did try sex, I would not really like it.'

Some folks are afraid to try sex, but after trying it, they find it's quite pleasant. Much the same as a properly sprung and tuned motorcycle. Sex.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 11-06-2019 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 2018 KLX 250 Suspension Settings