2018 KLX 250 EFI 331 Big Bore questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 11:48 AM
Default Update on install?

In currently riding a 2012 efi model and considering the 351 kit from bill blue.

Can I ask if you had any issues with install/efi and how the bike has turned out since?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-21-2019, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Not good, mainly due to Dobeck's complete lack of cooperation. Dobeck had agreed to work with me to make the fuel tuning work however once I got everything installed they stopped returning my calls and emails. They did send me a few flash files to try. I got it working but never got the tuning to a point I would consider stable enough to recommend. I also had head gasket issues, apparently the head on my 2018 had slightly wider water jackets that did not seal well to the new gasket.

The 351 gives a reasonable boost in power but I knew I would want more soon. The KLX250 is not the best platform to dump a lot of money into, it's cheaper (and more reliable) to get a more powerful bike. Also given my experience with Dobeck I knew the project would never get completed properly. I decided to return the bike to stock form and buy a Honda CRF450L instead.

Unless there has been more development on the fueling side, I would not recommend it. Bill Blue is well aware of my situation, just ask him about the guy from Canada with the 2018 EFI.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:50 PM
Default klx 250 EFI and 351conversion

Hello: Did you ever get your EFI sorted with the 351 big bore conversion? Thx.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I did not. I ended up selling the bike. I noticed however that Bill Blue has a fuel tuner for it now on his website. Although I'm not interested in going through this upgrade again, I would really like to know how it turns out with the new tuner.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:18 AM

thx for the quick reply. FWIW: I emailed Bill Blue about a week ago asking if he had any customer references for how well the tuner works and if it allows adjustments or has fixed maps. No reply as of this date. I'll continue to watch this thread.

I thought the KLX 351 EFI would be a good alternative to an old DR350SE. The DRs are hard to find and expensive.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't think Bill Blue is big on keeping up with emails. People seem to have good luck calling him. Us geezers aren't real big at using this newfangled technology.

Old 06-13-2021, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

FWIW, I recently emailed Bill Blue a few times back and forth regarding big bore upgrade possibilities and options for my bike and he was VERY prompt replying. Could be that, now that riding season is in full swing after last year's debacle, business is too good for him to keep up with emails? That's strictly a guess on my part. I'd recommend calling him directly.​

Old 07-30-2021, 02:22 AM

I recently fitted Bill Blue's 351 kit to my KLX 250S EFI bike, with EJK controller provided with the Bill Blue kit, and for everyone's benefit I can share my sad experience with it: bike hesitates to startup which is one problem, but even bigger problem is that reving up to 6-8k rpms and releasing throttle it dies out. My mechanic and I spent 3 hours trying out all sorts of EJK settings, but no chances of resolving this problem. I contacted Bill, he was quick to pick up the phone, but couldn't help me on this, saying he's not a fan of EFI (what kind of answer is that for someone distributing EFI kits?). Contacted EJK asking for recommended settings on the controller - no response. I tried raising rpms, taking airbox lid out, unplugging stock exhaust to see if any of it helps to get rid of stalling issue - nothing helps. Having spent ~1000 eur on this upgrade (I'm in Europe, so customs taxes are applicable), and 300 more for mechanic work, I just wanna cry for being so naive! For those of you thinking of fitting 351 kit on KLX250 EFI, consider other options out there.. perhaps 292cc upgrade might work better, I hope.