2018 KLX 250 EFI 331 Big Bore questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2018 KLX 250 EFI 331 Big Bore questions

Hi everyone, first post on here but I've been reading since I bought the bike in the spring. I'm almost ready to place my order for a 331 big bore kit but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. So far this is what I'm getting:

Either Bill Blue or Kustom Kraft 331cc big bore kit (not sure which one to get, Bill Blue is much cheaper).
FMF Q4 + 1-1/8 Quiet Core insert (I want to keep the noise to a minimum)
FMF Powerbomb
EJK Fuel Controller
KDX200 Snorkel

Questions:
1. Is there an advantage with the Kustom Kraft kit? I know it comes with a new cylinder but there's a pretty significant price difference. I'm in east coast New-Brunswick Canada, so that means US-CAN exchange and duty fees on top of the shipping charges.
2. Is anyone keeping their stock cylinder as a back-up in case the upgrade doesn't work or fails down the line?
3. The big bore version of the EJK is for s 300cc, does this cause a problem with the 331cc? I'm guessing it will require different settings.
4. I would rather go with the 351cc kit but from what I understand there are fuel issues with the 351 and EFI.
5. How restrictive is the stock air filter? Is there any point in replacing it? I'm reading that the K&N is less restrictive but allows some dust to pass through.
6. Is there an easy way to mount a heat shield to the Powerbomb?
7. Does anything need to be done with the throttle body? I read something about removing a secondary throttle plate but I'm not finding much information about how to do it.
8. Is there anything else I need?

I will probably be getting cams later on but I don't want to have no bike while my cams are being sent for upgrading. That will likely be a winter project.

I think that's it for now but I'm sure I'll have more questions later on.

Thanks
dp19

Last edited by dp19; 08-21-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

3. When you order the EJK make sure you tell them it’s for a 331 and they’ll set it appropriately.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Personally i would send the ecu off to get reflashed or tuned by a local company. I just hit my 2nd oil change n the 351 kit, so 2000 mile and i get a touch less mpg depending on how i drive

Old 08-27-2018, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Cool

I use my original heat shield. Tried one from FMF and it was bogus.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma660
Personally i would send the ecu off to get reflashed or tuned by a local company. I just hit my 2nd oil change n the 351 kit, so 2000 mile and i get a touch less mpg depending on how i drive
Could you please elaborate on how you did this? I was not aware that the original ecu could be reflashed. Also I don't think there's anyone locally that would do that.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma660
This is the route I’d go if there was someone near me who could do it. The EJK gets you in the ballpark of acceptability but it’s never been perfect for me. The only nice thing is being able to make an adjustment on the fly. Gas getting low? Adjust it to provide less fuel. I’ll lean it out a bit too when I’m on longer stretches on the road. But other than that, it would be nice to have the fueling perfectly tuned.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:13 AM
1st Gear Member

2. I kept my stock cylinder but only bc I bought mine new from someone here and he gave me a great deal. If it’s installed correctly I don’t see any reason to hold onto it if you could use the cash back. Worst case, if you need to swap back to the stock cylinder there’s always plenty available on eBay.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NEWPARTSRULE
I use my original heat shield. Tried one from FMF and it was bogus.
How did you mount it on there? Would you mind posting a photo?

Also I really appreciate everyone's feedback so far!

Old 08-31-2018, 01:28 PM
1st Gear Member

KLXster has a performance exhaust choices and considerations sticky that has a youtube of how to install stock heat shield on power bomb.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...rations-44444/

Old 09-01-2018, 12:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone for your input! I have ordered the necessary parts for the big bore kit. It's gonna take at least a few weeks to get it all since I'm on the East Coast of New-Brunswick (Canada) and the postal delays from the US to Canada are very real.

One more thing though, do I have to do something with the subthrottle butterfly? Is it necessary to remove it?

Thanks
dp19

Quick Reply: 2018 KLX 250 EFI 331 Big Bore questions