2013 KLX250s won't start ..

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default 2013 KLX250s won't start ..

I bought this bike brand new, and in about 4-5 months I did 10,000 KM on it. Now that winter has arrived, it has been parked for about 1 month or so now. It is being stored in my garage (not heated) and I tried to heat up the garage and for whatever reason my KLX will not start. Put fresh gas, put the choke on and not even a small go. Anybody can helo? Thanks!

Old 11-29-2013, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member

"Choke" on, front brake on, neutral, clutch lever pulled. Pump the fork while cranking. Worked for me.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

We get many of these threads as winters approaching. We should make a sticky!
no, no, not another sticky!!!

check out this thread. I say get your shop vac and suck-start 'er.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...tarting-37193/

Last edited by IDRIDR; 11-30-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:48 PM
1st Gear Member

check the kill switch

Old 11-29-2013, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm impressed with the shop vac start technique, but it also sounds like a recipe for a bomb if the vac canister fills with unburned fuel and the vac brushes spark
marc

Old 11-30-2013, 04:54 AM
1st Gear Member

drain the float bowl to get the old stale fuel out, then it should start.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

The KLX250 is hard to start after it has been sitting for a few days no matter what time of year whether hot or cold. I read the whole 9 pages of the link sent by IDRIDR above and about the only thing I got out of it that was useful to me was the simple one line of advice from deej which is to drain the fuel before you park it. Even in the summer I shut the fuel valve off and run the engine until it quits which is about 2 - 3 minutes. To start it turn the fuel valve on, wait 2 - 3 minutes for the float bowl to fill, check that kill switch is off, choke full on, crank for 2 - 3 seconds (it probably won't start), wait 2 - 3 seconds, crank again and it will probably start. If I keep a trickle charger on it this works 100% of the time. It's important that the battery has a good charge. I spend most of my weekday time on a BMW R1150RT so the KLX sits for several days at a time even in the summer. They like to be started and ridden a little every day or two.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SageGrouse8139
The KLX250 is hard to start after it has been sitting for a few days no matter what time of year whether hot or cold. I read the whole 9 pages of the link sent by IDRIDR above and about the only thing I got out of it that was useful to me was the simple one line of advice from deej which is to drain the fuel before you park it. Even in the summer I shut the fuel valve off and run the engine until it quits which is about 2 - 3 minutes. To start it turn the fuel valve on, wait 2 - 3 minutes for the float bowl to fill, check that kill switch is off, choke full on, crank for 2 - 3 seconds (it probably won't start), wait 2 - 3 seconds, crank again and it will probably start. If I keep a trickle charger on it this works 100% of the time. It's important that the battery has a good charge. I spend most of my weekday time on a BMW R1150RT so the KLX sits for several days at a time even in the summer. They like to be started and ridden a little every day or two.
Yes, fresh fuel in the bowl certainly helps. Most reports indicate drilling the starter jet does the trick for the more finicky KLXs. When I initially suggested bringing out the shop vac, it was half joking. But with all the talk about getting air flow through the system, a little vacuum on the exhaust side seemed to be worth a try. Though I wouldn't suggest do it for a long time due to possible chance of unexpected combustion in the vacuum container.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:29 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Yes, fresh fuel in the bowl certainly helps. Most reports indicate drilling the starter jet does the trick for the more finicky KLXs. When I initially suggested bringing out the shop vac, it was half joking. But with all the talk about getting air flow through the system, a little vacuum on the exhaust side seemed to be worth a try. Though I wouldn't suggest do it for a long time due to possible chance of unexpected combustion in the vacuum container.
"BREAKING NEWS!" A local Idaho man was killed in a bizarre incident that also included the destruction of six other homes in a fiery inferno that engulfed the neighborhood. Details are sketchy as of news time, but surviving neighbors detail a strange story in which the deceased man was working on a motorcycle in his driveway and using a home vacuum cleaner in an unusual starting ritual on the motorcycle. Neighbors report seeing the man performing other odd actions with the motorcycle in the past, ranging from draining fuel on to the driveway and violently shaking the bike back and forth while singing the old song, "Do the Hokey Pokey". There are rumors that neighbors have reported the man to local mental health authorities because of this strange behavior in previous weeks, but calls to those authorities have not been returned at news time. More at 11.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
"BREAKING NEWS!" A local Idaho man was killed in a bizarre incident that also included the destruction of six other homes in a fiery inferno that engulfed the neighbourhood. Details are sketchy as of news time, but surviving neighbours detail a strange story in which the deceased man was working on a motorcycle in his driveway and using a home vacuum cleaner in an unusual starting ritual on the motorcycle. neighbour's report seeing the man performing other odd actions with the motorcycle in the past, ranging from draining fuel on to the driveway and violently shaking the bike back and forth while singing the old song, "Do the Hokey Pokey". There are rumors that neighbours have reported the man to local mental health authorities because of this strange behaviour in previous weeks, but calls to those authorities have not been returned at news time. More at 11.
yerr but did he gat it started?

Quick Reply: 2013 KLX250s won't start ..