2013 Klx250s order of performance mods questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Hey "new" EFI guys, yall are the future for all of us - pioneers of performance to build upon the relatively small base of knowledge we have from our older european EFI membership..

Some things are "old news" though - removal of the air injection system being one.... It is nice that yall understand the nuances of this system and I'm sure I don't have to explain that open and closed loop fueling does not care about, nor attempt to control, decel AFR..

You remove it for two reasons that "crop up" when increasing the performance of the KLX - extreme header temps and decel popping.
If/when you experience one or the other, remove the system, but beware, you must remove it and cap it off properly.

KLX678, please refrain from corrupting this forum with advice (especially to "new" members ) that is based on your political/philosophical outlook, and not in the interest of "best practices" . The new members will not "see through" (to your motives) as easily as the old membership does..

What are KLX678's political/philosophical outlooks? What are his motives? If you're going to make accusations, please spell them out so that the old and new members can be enlightened.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 01-19-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

When it comes to the issue of Air Injection System removal, he has years of postings attempting to persuade members to keep the system installed with arguments that make no sense to someone being assaulted with machine gun decel popping on their KLX. Therefore, a personal motive - probably a "clean air" related posture?

If you like IDRIDR, I will gather up, for you, a dozen or two of such postings for your enjoyment .

Old 01-17-2020, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I have never persuaded anyone to keep the air injection on their bikes. In fact I sold a number of KLX riders block plates. I never got one on my bike because I just didn't feel like getting the bits to put it on, knowing it would do nothing to boost power in any way shape or form. I tell people that, because it is true. There is no gain. That was all I ever said. Do NOT expect any gain of power. I also pointed out that keeping heat in the exhaust is one of the things racers often do, using ceramic coatings and wraps. Hotter gas higher velocity in the exhaust, more scavenging effect. That science has been around several decades by now for sure.

Now go find all those posts where I was actually persuading anyone to keep it on the bike. Where I said they should leave it on, that it would affect anything... well anything other than some more unburned hydrocarbon blown out into the atmosphere. Of course far more is passed out by lawn mowers. I can find a similar number where you are a sanctimonious jerk. Heck, there's two of them in this thread alone.

As for the decel popping apparently you are too vain to actually go to Mikuni and read the facts. If they don't know, who does?

Obviously you don't want to know. Otherwise you would have done the research and found what I knew thirty years ago. Again, it's on the Mikuni web site. click here

You know a lot and can be a lot of help to others, but that doesn't mean you can't learn a bit from anyone else and that you are the only source of knowledge. I learned to listen to others when I was in sales and definitely as an engineer. As an engineer, I listened to the guys on the shop floor, the vendors, and the engineers. I learned from every one of them, mostly because I respected them and what they knew.

Last edited by klx678; 01-17-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Lets see if I can manage to pull this off - "bring to life" this example of dichotomy..

Many times you've "used" that document (Mikuni) - and when you do, you always accuse me of thinking I know more than they do, and you make a "case" for decel popping being "normal".. You also will inevitably bring up the exhaust temp "thing"- presenting the facts about gas velocity /temperature relationships.

Agreed?

Now, I agree with everything in that document - EVERY THING IT SAYS !

The difference: When a member complains about decel popping, I don't pass judgement on whether I think their popping is "normal" or not. I care only about getting them the info they need to cure it. I use that document - as well as forum derived solutions - to help them cure it.. But when I do this, you accuse me of thinking I know more than Mikuni - I ignore you because I have no idea why you would say that, nor do I care - it's a passing "WTH?"...

I see nothing in that document that indicates that a member should "just live with it, it's normal" - SOMEHOW YOU DO ! And to me, that can only be the case if you have a personal issue with removing the Air Injection System and are blindly grasping for anything you think can be used to support your position..

Perhaps one point will clear up some of this - NO ONE will define for me whether my decel popping is normal or not - not Mikuni (if they were to ever try to..) , not KLX678, not Jesus, NO ONE ! And I probably speak for most all..

I cannot believe it when you use your "exhaust temp argument" to support not removing the Air Injection System. You, I , we all, know that doing so reduces header temps. You seem intent on convincing a KLX owner that their cherry red / glowing exhaust header is "not a bad thing" or "normal" etc etc, as if to say " never mind the increased danger/injury of inadvertent or non-voluntary contact with it .. And again, in my experience, the only reason a person forgoes common sense is if personally held belief demands it..

Last edited by Klxster; 01-18-2020 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Aloneinthewoods - you seem intent on using your narrow band lambda setup as if it were a wide band setup..
.85v, .6v, have no meaning other than "some AFR richer than stoich".. It could be running 14 : 1 at WOT and you would not know it !

You must remember that Narrow band lambdas are basically a three way switch " Lean, 14.7:1, Rich" - they have no ability to tell you how lean or how rich..

P.S. Going back through my dyno testing thread - A DJ144 main made 1.5 hp more than the DJ140... It's more than, quote: "giving up a half HP "...
Just trying to get you to "follow the instructions"... I mean "help"...lol

Last edited by Klxster; 01-18-2020 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ALONEINTHEHILLS
If you're talking about the secondary air system that puts makeup air into the exhaust, those typically work off of air pressure changes (reed valve) in the engine like when you close the throttle so 1 you don't need the extra air flow from the airbox then, and 2 it's not pumping air but instead giving the exhaust some flow automatically. I've only had my klx for a month or so and haven't looked at the setup yet. Some people do block them off because they are parasitic in some ways/times. The other valve it should have (EGR) is just to let fumes recirculate from the charcoal canister back to the airbox. It's low flow and comes from extra fuel tank air pressure and may also have an open vent to atmospheric.
Yeah thats what I was wondering. So normally it shouldn't be letting air into the exhaust to mess up the lambda readings when it is actually using the lambda reading for anything.

Old 01-19-2020, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

dtrackermslazgromthailassi,

Correct, at the times the SAI is flowing it should be open loop default fueling vs. closed loop trim control.

Klhuxster,

I find you funny. Have known some like you. Usually people who feel pretty powerless in aspects of their lives so when they have a bit of knowledge in an area they turn into a belligerent ahole about it, or whine if someone doesn't totally adhere to their ways. You understand how a cv carb works, Bernoulli and Venturi understood these principles over 200 years ago, not exactly cutting edge.

You also keep telling me things in your posts which I've already said in mine, thanks for the stunning revelations! It's almost like you're so excited to preach the gospel you don't have time to read the book.

I said early that I'd see how the initial setup I went with worked and that it could support the larger jets. I also said the narrow band sensor was a good cheap solution to see if it was running too lean. And as I said at the start I need something reliable from -200 to 7000+ feet elevation (including starting and running well in the middle of nowhere, not fouling plugs, etc.) and for covering distance with decent mileage. I never said how do I get max power, I asked for a recommendation for initial setup. I read your posts for max power and others in various threads and picked a starting point. If my main concern was gobs of power over a inexpensive, fun, and reliable low maintenance bike with enough power, I could afford to drop the cash on something new and "ready to race". I like the KLX, some of the attitudes here would make it less so if I gave an f.

After I get some more seat time on it I'll decide if I want to make some tweaks to one or both jets - to suit my use of the bike.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:44 PM
1st Gear Member

You been talking to my mother ? ...
Years of therapy, yoga, meditation, alcoholism.... all for nothing !

The "FMF System" testing on the DJ140 netted WOT AFR's that reached only into the mid 13's.. So you should be safe.

Last edited by Klxster; 01-19-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Is this Thumpertalk?

Old 01-20-2020, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Is this Thumpertalk?
No ... It's just me misbehaving (again?) ... And having my a$$ handed to me...

I'm blaming Winter (S.A.D. disorder?)..

P.S. I did recently quit sniffing glue .. Probly not a factor..

Gotta go, they're letting me go outside today !

Last edited by Klxster; 01-22-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Klx250s order of performance mods questions