2013 KLX250s - Making it more "dirt bike" then "enduro"

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default 2013 KLX250s - Making it more "dirt bike" then "enduro"

Alright I have my KLX which I bought new. I love it, I did 10,000 KM on it this season. Although this year i got a harley for more highway capabilities. I'm not getting rid of my KLX so I want to keep it as a dirt bike. I know this will never be a true full on racing bike but I want to give it more 'oomph' for off roading. What do you reccomend I could put on? Forgetting the price, just a list.

For gearing I really need help, I have 15tf and stock rear so far, but this was for the town. I'm looking for 12/13tf and I don't know for rear. I already need a new front and rear sprocket plus a new chain. I also have full fmf (powercore4 + megabomb) on it. Looking towards a 351, but except that, what else performance/looks/weight loss/handling etc etx could I put on? Just your personal thoughts and ideas. Thanks!

Old 12-17-2013, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I have thoughts on this. So, briefly, I ramble my insanity. The KLX has one item that stands out above all others.
It's the buddy pegs.
Mod the bike - engine, suspension, etc - to the limits of your wallet, take it from mild to wild, but it's the buddy pegs that are the key to the bike.
Put your wife/girlfriend/mom/Step mom/mom-in-law/girlfriends hot mom (sorry, gals my age are always moms) on the back, or, if your an idiot like me, on the front and have adventures on and off road that few bikes can offer.
Get that big bore kit, get the tires upgraded, hell, even put on that windscreen, and you'll be able to have adventures with a competent, relatively lightweight, off road bike with turn signals and a plate that, IMHO, can only be trumped with a KTM at twice the price. I have to go now - they're about to take away my crayons.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, put on a 13t primary
Cam mod
DJ carb kit if you keep the CV or TM36 pumper carb
Pull the airbox lid off

Learn to say "WHEEEE"

After that, add the big bore kit which may call for stiffer clutch springs
After that, add larger valves and head porting

Then sit down, add up the money spent, and look at all the wonderful KTM's (with buddy pegs) you coulda bought.

Weight ? sorry pal, you have a KLX, fill the tires with helium.

Oh, they saw me, now I'm gonna loose my last piece of chalk.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I went down one in front, and up seven on the rear for gearing, and loved it. It was a totally different bike, especially on single track. UFO fork guard upgrade, rad guards and skid plate (got mine from Scorpion Racing) wrap around hand guards, fold down enduro mirror, rim locks, ultra hd tubes.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I finally got my bike the way I wanted it. 13t, q4 exhaust, 34 mm pumper carb, 351, and re-sprung/re-valved forks/re-valved shock. Out of all the upgrades, although expensive, the suspension really makes the bike off-road capable.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I tried to make the '09 klx more dirt worthy. The biggest draw back was the weight, the bike needs lighter weight components. I took off everything I could. IMS 3.0 tank, bb kit, fcr35, TBR M7 & mega bomb, Scott's stabilizer, 13x47 still took extra effort to loft the front end over obsticles at any speed

Name:  94a1c64c0822620cd13bad8b5c18eb06.jpg
Views: 2093
Size:  273.8 KB

Old 12-20-2013, 05:01 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Race Gass, it's true that the KLX will never achieve true and absolute dirtbike worthiness. Still, I doubt that a KTM, KX, or other pocket rocket will ever achieve the anvil-like reliability and service requirements of the lowly KLX. However, I can say with some very pleasant authority that steering the KLX in the direction of more power and better suspension literally transforms the bike when you push the off road envelope on many rides and trips that a lot of us take with our bikes. I'm often wrestling with the notion of grabbing up a used KTM or other competition bike candidate and plating it for my uses. But when I'm out in Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, or other rough, remote riding venues in the western U.S., I realize that my modded KLX does an impressive job going anywhere that I have any business trying to ride in and the fact that I'm not racing. I raced enduros for decades. I would never try to race a KLX in a truly competitve nature. I'm amazed how well my modded KLX performs in some fairly gnarly conditions. And when I get back to camp, I lube my chain...check the oil...park the bike...and do this day after day after day...year after year.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 AM
1st Gear Member

we are OEM Manufacturers from China .

Wholesale or Retail Selling KLX250/300 Acerbis Fuel Tank - 97-08 3.7Gal Kawi Green

Modified New All Acerbis Fuel Tank Acerbis Tank KLX250 300 Kawasaki | eBay

Old 01-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Meaven, convince me that you are not spamming this site. It may just be a spelling or language gap, but I need to know for sure before I delete your posts and break out the ban stick.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I race my klx. No $hit. Enduros and even desert races. I've crashed and tumbled through the desert at 39 mph in the top of third gear. See my mods.

I also ride the dang thing to work most days of the warm season. That's what a dual sport is all about.

Biggest thing after normal rough road protection is the stupid rear blinkers and tail light. Then you can pretty much ride it.

Quick Reply: 2013 KLX250s - Making it more "dirt bike" then "enduro"