2011 Klx250s Broken Dashboard, Trailtech questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 08:59 AM
Default 2011 Klx250s Broken Dashboard, Trailtech questions.

Hello everyone, bought a 2011 Klx250s a few months ago. Had to have a few minor things fixed on it, like the tyre exploding the moment I brought it home. Eventually got out for my first ride on the dirt, had a minor whoopsie, the headlight surround took the brunt of the force and shattered the LCD on the stock Dashboard and broke the headlight surround. $950ish (Australian) for a new one, no thanks... So I'm looking at a Trailtech Vapor, maybe an Endurance. Does anyone have any experience with these specific to a similar model Klx250s? I've done extensive research on them, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to make another thread about the same thing.

Aside from just general potential issues related to the Trailtech and the Klx250s, I suppose I'd like to know if there's any tricks or better solutions to those proposed in the Trailtech instructions. Also, what are people who have experience with such matters do with the existing wiring?

Thanks in advance.

Edit - Any opinions on whether the Vapor is worth it over the Endurance is appreciated. I suppose a brief outline of the riding I wish to do would help in this. I intend to do as little road riding as possible, the only road riding is to get to any dirt/trail. The things like the tachometer I'm not fussed about, but the endurance doesn't appear to have any sort of engine warning system in place.

Last edited by Deafmetalman; 12-04-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I run the vapor and decided for it over the endurance for reasons I don't recall.
For the tach, connect to the correct wire, I think it is brown, instead of wrapping it around the spark plug wire.
I ran a fused, unswitched power source from the battery to the vapor.

edit: search around here and you'll see how others secured the pickup for the magnet.
Also, secure the magnet to the rotor. I didn't do this well and lost a magnet.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 12-04-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi!

A few months ago I had an idea of creating a custom dashboard for my bike. Back then I didn’t own a KLX, I made it fit to a Derbi Senda. I a.m nowhere near to the finish line, but already done the difficult parts.

Since a few days I have been thinking about making the custom dashboard fit the KLX, which is much simpler since it has all the sensors I need (the Derbi Senda has analog speed sensor, no tachometer etc..)
and the dashboard connects to the bike with a single plug. (not 100% sure but I think it’s an MX34016 connector)
Of course, it is gonna be Plug and Play.

I’ve already designed the PCB for the KLX edition, but it’s gonna take at least 2-3 months to finish.

BTW, my design uses a Nextion 3,5” touchscreen, controlled by an Arduino.

I have no idea yet how much it costs to build one, but the parts cost around 60-70 dollars. Unfortunately the screen is quiet expensive, the simplest 3,5” costs 40 dollars.

I don’t want to “sell” my product that doesn’t even exist, just wanted to share that I am working on this, and probably in the future be able to make more.

If you are interested, I have a hackaday project site, you can check how it works, etc.

https://hackaday.io/project/168272-motorcycle-dashboard

Last edited by Mateja; 12-05-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the responses guys.

Old 12-10-2019, 03:39 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Kind of refreshing to see this. Nice job on this project...

Originally Posted by Mateja
Hi!

A few months ago I had an idea of creating a custom dashboard for my bike. Back then I didn’t own a KLX, I made it fit to a Derbi Senda. I a.m nowhere near to the finish line, but already done the difficult parts.

Since a few days I have been thinking about making the custom dashboard fit the KLX, which is much simpler since it has all the sensors I need (the Derbi Senda has analog speed sensor, no tachometer etc..)
and the dashboard connects to the bike with a single plug. (not 100% sure but I think it’s an MX34016 connector)
Of course, it is gonna be Plug and Play.

I’ve already designed the PCB for the KLX edition, but it’s gonna take at least 2-3 months to finish.

BTW, my design uses a Nextion 3,5” touchscreen, controlled by an Arduino.

I have no idea yet how much it costs to build one, but the parts cost around 60-70 dollars. Unfortunately the screen is quiet expensive, the simplest 3,5” costs 40 dollars.

I don’t want to “sell” my product that doesn’t even exist, just wanted to share that I am working on this, and probably in the future be able to make more.

If you are interested, I have a hackaday project site, you can check how it works, etc.

https://hackaday.io/project/168272-motorcycle-dashboard

Old 12-11-2019, 08:18 AM
1st Gear Member

I put an Acer on my KLR & loved it. more rugged and solid than the Trailtech I had on my DRZ. still working fine after 30,000 miles when I sold it. more money though