2010 recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 2010 recommendations

greetings! im a proud owner of a 2010 klx250s-I purchased this bike for 10-15 mile street commutes a few times a week(55mph max at times) and trail riding/camping in the arizona desert. Im looking to get some sort of rack system (TCI borego looks nice, but $$) as well as a after market exhaust system that wont be too loud for my commute(I assume a after market exhaust is the first place to start to get me a little extra acceleration on the road-but if im looking in the wrong direction please let me know).Ive been lurking around your forums a few hours and it looks like a great site, so i figured id ask. Thanks for any input.
happy riding,
max

Attached Thumbnails 2010 recommendations-imag0230.jpg  
Old 12-18-2010, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Check the Cycleracks site for a rack. Don't mess with the exhaust or intake until you have the Dynojet kit.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:13 AM
1st Gear Member

My FMF slip-on (Powercore4) said in the instructions no jetting required. It gave the bike more life at the time I put it on. I jetted for it a week or so later and removed the snorkle at that time. Between the two the pipe was the biggest boost but I think the jetting was necessary as these bikes are lean from the factory. FMF makes a Quietcore 4 also that makes less noise as my pipe can get loud as the revs go up. You might consider a 13 tooth counter sprocket if you don't do much interstate riding as this gears the bike down and puts your power where you use it off road, my bike will still run 80mph or so but that is rung out. The sprocket change can be done without a new chain as your old one will adjust for it. I also reciently installed the FMF powerbomb head pipe and it gave the bike more grunt right off idle.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh, welcome to the forum also as this place is full of people who share their knowledge.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the info-ill have to look further into how to do this "jetting", its a new term for me.I haven't don much highway riding since i was told to keep the rpms down until the bike has a few more miles on it (only 150 right now). Ill take a look at those slip on pipes once i get a better idea of this jetting technique.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Hello tankbb
Welcome. You'll find lots of good stuff and great folks around here. I got a lot out of the FAQ sticky. Jetting takes a little effort, but its worth it if you want to uncork it.
Cheers

Old 12-18-2010, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

As far as jetting goes Dynojet sells a kit and has a web site you can go to and read up on the install as the instructions are on line. This kit comes with the jets and a better needle you need for how it's set up, as at the time you do it it is a good time to add a high performance air filter and possibly change your stock airbox. Common changes are just pulling the stock snorkle out of the top, which is what I did as it's free and flows more air, but some guys buy a snorkle from a KDX as they flow more air also and provide more protection from water, I don't plan on riding thru more than a foot or so, and that's why I went the way I did.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Some also find the pilot jet is too small (lean conditions) if you're opening up the airbox and muffler. The DynoJet kit doesn't come with pilot jets. I think my stock was a #35 and I upped to a #38 based on a part number I found around here (N424-25-#38 kawi p/n 92064-1050). And while the carb is off, some also drill out the enrichment circuit jet to around 0.018" for easier starting - I did and it makes a nice difference. Drill out the slider vent with the DynoJet bit (7/64") for better throttle response. Follow instructions on putting the slider into hot water or it'll never go back in. HMF has a fantastic thread on carb removal http://hmfracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1617

Old 12-18-2010, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the link, after seeing the pictures i understand the rejetting a little better, I think its something ill hold off on for a few weeks until i can get some help from a friend with a little more hands on experience. The actual holes/screws and needle replacement seem pretty straight forward, but I dont trust myself removing the carb for the first time by myself on a brand new bike. As for the "free" upgrade of removing the air box snorkel..is this something i could do now? or would i want to wait until i get the bike rejetted and purchase a aftermarket air filter.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

If yours is like mine and most, it's already on the lean side as stock. Giving it any more air by opening up the air box or exhaust without giving it more fuel (jetting) will just make the condition worse, which can cause engine damage. I followed the advice of the more experienced members around here and did the jetting/airbox/muffler all at the same time. If you can't get your fiends help in time, don't stress. Besides myself, there's many folks around here that offer tremendous help. Take your time, take photos, make notes, search through the forums, read up, and jump in. Try to figure out which jets you want to put in based on your riding elevations (what are they BTW?).

Consider one of these for simplified adjustment: http://www.koubalink.com/fuelscrew.html

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34211 see post 29 where TNC put up a good diagram

If you haven't already found it under FAQ linky, DirtSurfer did a great writeup on these mods https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=8886

BTW, I got my dynojet kit from a local shop because he offered what was nearly the best price I could find. It's not a dealership, the guys are very helpful and have went out of their way to help me with the project and work with me on prices. Support local when it makes sense.

Name:  DSCF6666.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  136.3 KB

Last edited by IDRIDR; 12-18-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 2010 recommendations