2010 model best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 2010 model best?

Hi all! I recently tried a 2008 KLX 250 and loved the nimble smooth little thing!

So I sold my top heavy BMW 650 funduro and am looking to buy one. I have just joined your forum.

My big question is: Is a new 2010 model worth the xtra cost or would you advise saving a lot and buying a used 2009 model for quite a bit less (here in NZ the 2010 new is NZ $8700 and a very low K 2009 can go for about NZ $6,000 or a 2008 for about NZ $5,000

Do the latest little improvements amount to much? I will use it mainly for windy sealed roads, around town and gravel roads.

If I buy used, is there anything KLX 250 specific that I should look out for?

Any help welcome!

Old 07-04-2010, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Get a good used one

Old 07-04-2010, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi Keeen, the 10 & 09 are the same bike, the 08 has differant suspention travel.
Were in NZ are you?

Old 07-04-2010, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought a brand new 2010 model and have to be honest, I wish I had bought a used 2009 instead. The money I would have saved would have paid for the new springs, slip-on, and dynojet kit.

BTW, springs, slip-on, and dynojet kit should be considered "must have's" in my opinion, so budget for them when you are buying.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:33 AM

I bought a new 2009 last week for $3,995 after rebates if that helps.

Arctra - I'm brand new to the motorcycle world. Can you provide a small description of the upgrades please? I have no idea what springs, slip-ons or dynojet kits are.

Thanks!

Old 07-04-2010, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pakrz
I bought a new 2009 last week for $3,995 after rebates if that helps.

Arctra - I'm brand new to the motorcycle world. Can you provide a small description of the upgrades please? I have no idea what springs, slip-ons or dynojet kits are.

Thanks!
Springs: The stock springs in the front forks are best for a rider that weighs approximately 65kg's. The spring on the rear shock is best for a rider of approximately 85kg's. Chances are good that neither of these will suit you ideally - especially if you plan on dirt riding. So what you want to do as a minimum is get the springs replaced with springs that suit your weight and riding style better.

Slip-on: The stock muffler is very heavy and restricts the flow of exhaust gasses quite severely. If you get a slip-on muffler like a Muzzy, FMF Q4 or Powercore 4, Two Brothers, etc to replace the stock muffler it lets the engine perform much better. It's called a slip-on coz it simply slips onto the exhaust header pipe (than joins the engine to the muffler) nice and easily.

Dynojet kit: The stock carburetor is set up to limit emissions and so is very lean - which not only isn't good for your engine, but also limits its performance a lot. The 3 main components in the carb that need replacing to sort this out are the fuel needle, pilot jet, and main jet. The Dynojet kit comes with a better fuel needle and a selection of main jets to choose from (based on altitude you ride at).

Old 07-04-2010, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra
Springs: The stock springs in the front forks are best for a rider that weighs approximately 65kg's. The spring on the rear shock is best for a rider of approximately 85kg's. Chances are good that neither of these will suit you ideally - especially if you plan on dirt riding. So what you want to do as a minimum is get the springs replaced with springs that suit your weight and riding style better.

Slip-on: The stock muffler is very heavy and restricts the flow of exhaust gasses quite severely. If you get a slip-on muffler like a Muzzy, FMF Q4 or Powercore 4, Two Brothers, etc to replace the stock muffler it lets the engine perform much better. It's called a slip-on coz it simply slips onto the exhaust header pipe (than joins the engine to the muffler) nice and easily.

Dynojet kit: The stock carburetor is set up to limit emissions and so is very lean - which not only isn't good for your engine, but also limits its performance a lot. The 3 main components in the carb that need replacing to sort this out are the fuel needle, pilot jet, and main jet. The Dynojet kit comes with a better fuel needle and a selection of main jets to choose from (based on altitude you ride at).
Thanks for the info. That's good stuff.

Do you need to replace the air filter as well?

Old 07-04-2010, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Dynojet kit: The stock carburetor is set up to limit emissions and so is very lean - which not only isn't good for your engine, but also limits its performance a lot. The 3 main components in the carb that need replacing to sort this out are the fuel needle, pilot jet, and main jet. The Dynojet kit comes with a better fuel needle and a selection of main jets to choose from (based on altitude you ride at).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that info Arctra. Couple of questions:

One of the things I really like about the stock bike is how quiet it is - will a slip-on lift the noise levels? which muffler is best for light and quiet?

How much will the fuel consumption go up if if the Dynojet kit is fitted?

Cheers

Old 07-04-2010, 04:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Karitane Pete
Hi Keeen, the 10 & 09 are the same bike, the 08 has differant suspention travel.
Were in NZ are you?
Hi Kartane Pete - Wellington area.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Karitane Pete
Were in NZ are you?
I looked at a dec 08 model - and it had the dig instruments - is that considered a 09? I am not quite sure about the different model 'change points' and exactly when....

Does anyone have a link or info to the last 3 years history of models and the changes?

Quick Reply: 2010 model best?