2010 klx250 wont start/idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2010 klx250 wont start/idle

Ok, so i know this has been asked a million times before, and ive read all the threads i could find about it. but none of them really cater to what my problem is. So i had my bike in storage for nine months, and with everything stock, and the battery charged, i couldnt get the bike started with the starter, had to push start it... now, 2 months later, i put a stage 2 dynojet kit on it, opened the airbox, installed a two bros racing M7 slip on along with the FMF megabomb header. I had the same problem where i had to push start it, and when i would sit in neutral or with the clutch in the bike would just die. so i took the carb off, cleaned all the jets with a fine piece of wire, and everything looked clean. and ive messed with the idle adjustment screw a ton... i tried starting it with the screw all the way in to 3.5 turns all, all resulting in my motorcycle not starting. I REALLY NEED HELP WITH THIS... When i have the bike running, and keep the revs up so it doesnt die, it runs great. And i cant do any good riding until i fix this problem. You cant push start a bike when youre halfway up a hill climb in the mountains and you stall the bike haha.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Why don't you post your jet size, needle settings and elevation. 3.5 turns "out" seems a lot to me, but let's see what you've got going on first.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

the jet is a 128, the kit came with a 132 but it told me to use the 128 so i did. needle setting is on the third notch from the top, again what the kit said. and my elevation is about 500 feet here.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I would doubt that you failed to use the choke to start the bike when cold, but I didn't see any mention of it in your post. You use the choke, don't you? And when/if you do, how does the bike respond? Oddly it sounds a bit like your pilot jet is plugged when you actually have the bike running...having to rev it to keep it running. You may also need to drill the starter jet out a bit as suggested on this forum. I don't know...it's hard to diagnose many carb problems in a post.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

You have the same jetting as me (similar elevation), but I have my lid on. I wonder if your running too lean? Check out the spreadsheet Illking did. It has a lot of different jetting setups that might help.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...adsheet-39762/

Last edited by Brieninsac; 04-03-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the all too common idle circuit clog.If the small gas way in the carb is clogged, it doesn't matter how many turns your fuel screw is at, because the fuels not getting that far. I'd pull the carb again, start at thge idle jet (where the gas begins its idle circuit journey) and use wire,needles,carb spray (with safety goggles), and compressed air. Don't put it back together, until your sure this circuit is open from idle jet tofuel screw, to carb throat.
good luck
marc

Old 04-04-2013, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks for the help everyone. Yes tnc i did use the choke when its cold and hot, and it still wont start. the funny thing is is that when i have it on choke and im cranking the engine with the starter ill give it a little throttle and when its in the right spot itll start cranking a little faster like its really trying to start but wont. So like darkmarc said, im going to pick up some carb cleaner tomorrow and hit all the jets, especially the idle jet. usually the most complicated problems have a simple solution, haha, i hope this is the case. again thanks for the advice everyone, i just wanted a solid idea of what to do before i take apart the carb and go through the process again.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Sprayed out the carb today and it didn't change a thing... I'm about to hit it with a hammer >

Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

did you replace the spark plug?...bad spark plug?....did you check your valve clearance?...those are the two times when my bike was running fine the day before and next day it wouldn't start out of the blue...for some reason, i was able to push start the bike on a bad spark plug, but ran rough...

Last edited by ahnh666; 04-04-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Member

well i checked the spark plug last week, and it was giving me a spark, but maybe it isnt strong enough. and how would i go about checking the valve clearance? havent ever taken a bike apart to that point.

Quick Reply: 2010 klx250 wont start/idle