2009 tacoma vs. frontier?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2009 tacoma vs. frontier?

it seems that i can ever be fully content with my toys...i always end up saying, "maybe i should have done this, or maybe i sohuld have got the other one." I did it after i got the KLX, and now im doing it with my tacoma...i absolutely LOVE my klx, and i know it will only get sweeter and sweeter...but then i saw the ktm 450 exc from some cat i used to see on these forums named nobrakes? or something, and it was love, well SECOND love at first sight. not only do i love orange, but it had the stock black wheels, and their stock pipes look badass too...i would NEVER get the suzuki drz400, it reminds me of of the fat kid in dodgeball, it was just too bulky and awkward looking for trails, and this was further confirmed by people that have rode a drz but own a nimble KLX...anyway, after finding out that i can get some orange plastics, or make them orange, and get excel black wheels, AND get 100cc's more, AND a pumper carb to give it that MX throttle snappiness type feel(or at least CLOSER to that feel)..

anyway, if someone said they would GIVE you a brand new tacoma or frontier, 4.0's in both, and 4x4 in both of course, same features and whatnot....which one would u roll wit?

FYI, although the frontier has 25 more horsey's, it BARELY has more torque, and it actually runs faster times...how is that?

Old 05-18-2009, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member

i meant the taco runs faster 0-60 times...well some reports had the frontier, but they were basically the same give or take a few tenths of a second...how is that possible? if the frontier has 25 more horseys, and they weigh essentially the same?

Old 05-18-2009, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Horsepower isn't everything....
There is farrr more to it than just the power off the flywheel
How well does each truck transfer that power to the ground, which truck is heavier..
Tires, suspension. Some vechiles have better tractable power than others..

Old 05-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Bikes are a lot like women. Just when you think you have the perfect bike you see another one that catches your attention. Just remember that a bike that has a lot of miles on it is reliable....wait are we still talking about bikes?

I have one more payment on my truck and it's funny, I have put more time into it in the last couple of months than in the 7 years that I have had it. Something about getting it paid off that makes you want to really take care of it.

Name:  IMG00480.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  123.3 KB

Old 05-18-2009, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kpwestmo
anyway, if someone said they would GIVE you a brand new tacoma or frontier, 4.0's in both, and 4x4 in both of course, same features and whatnot....which one would u roll wit?
That's easy - the 'yota. Pick almost any category you want - resale, fit & finish, durability - and the Tacoma comes out on top. Look around on the road and tell me how many 10, hell, 20 year old Tacoma's and 4Runners are still going. Toyota didn't get to be numero uno in the auto world by accident.

Back in the late 60's and early 70's the Japanese marques began to show up here, led by Mr. Ichiro Honda and his Civic. They were almost universally scorned as being cheap, underpowered tin cans. Remember, this was back when a Chrysler Imperial was the size of a pocket battleship (footnote: I read somewhere once that old Imperials were eventually banned at demolition derby contests, seems it was almost impossible to do enough structural damage to put them out of commission). Turns out that the people who bought them were pleasantly surprised to find out how reliable they were and they gained a foothold here...

When the Japanese started making pickup trucks (well, OK, they were trucklets back then) the Big Three laughed their collective butts off as no self respecting American would ever get into one. Who's laughing now? Go look at a Tundra 5.7 in 4wd. Um, is that not a truck?

The point is, aw hell, I wandered into the bushes again. Dang. Take the taco...

Old 05-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Bikes are a lot like women. Just when you think you have the perfect bike you see another one that catches your attention. Just remember that a bike that has a lot of miles on it is reliable....wait are we still talking about bikes?

I have one more payment on my truck and it's funny, I have put more time into it in the last couple of months than in the 7 years that I have had it. Something about getting it paid off that makes you want to really take care of it.

Bikes are alot like women ??

Old 05-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

AND FYI Id go with the Tacoma!

Old 05-19-2009, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

2009 tacoma vs. frontier?

You've got to be kidding LOL what are those?

Old 05-19-2009, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

I have nothing nice to say about either of the two======I work on cars and trucks for a living=====ANY truck is awesome until they hit 90,000 miles=====in fact most all vehicles are======then its nickel and dime time===I have fixed numerous toyota trucks just out of warranty with a bad cat convertor or air/fuel ratio sensor====another toyota issue is the maf sensor on the tacomas====and Nissan is like the japanese version of chrysler=====many will disagree with that BUT====I've seen the repair bills and what it takes to figure out a nissan when it has failures====in my opinion nissan uses substandard(cheap) wiring just like volvo's do====anyone in here own a early 2000's volvo====go open your hood and look at the wire harness looms crumbling====the loom keeps the wires from rubbing thru on metal===anyways======I'd choose the toyota because of its history of reliability=====BUT according to JD power====Toyota/Lexus is no longer the most reliable vehicle====JAGUAR IS====YES JAGUAR and BUICK tied====LOL

Old 05-19-2009, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

If I could add a third option, it would be a Ford Ranger. I own a 96 Ranger and it has been the best truck. My family owns 2 more suv/truck, but the Ranger has never let me down. And my neighbor owns a 1990's Toyota SR5 Truck and 4Runner, and he has his fair share of problems. On the SR5 truck, he has already had to replace the engine around 50k miles. Thou now he has something like 175k miles. Now for today's trucks and between those two options, I would have to go with the Toyota. Nothing against Nissian, just the Toyota is more to my likings.

Quick Reply: 2009 tacoma vs. frontier?