2009 smog removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2009 smog removal

Sorry if this has been covered before but just wanted to clear everything up. My bike is a 2009 "non California model". I don't have the large canister! This is what I took off.

Now all I have is this 1/2" hose coming off below the header.

Capped off this on the airbox and carb. I know you're supposed to only use vinyl caps. The one on the airbox is rubber but I will go back and replace with vinyl.

Now for the one off the header seems to be the one I'm a bit confused about. Some say cap it with a 1/2" bolt and clamp. Tried a 1/2" bolt but it seems really tight. Others say get the plate off Bill Blue or drill in a screw without using the hose? Then there's confusion with the hoses off the tank? Some have 4 hoses under the tank which I belive is the California model? Mine just has two.

So with this setup I'm good with just Capping off 1/2" header hose , the one mini one on the carb and the one off the airbox? Again ,sorry if I've rehashed this subject too many times but just want to clear things up.Cheers!

Last edited by ekim250; 05-03-2020 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:30 PM

klx678 used to make a block off plate that replaces the part bolted to your head. Works great, just mind the bolt length. You might want to give him a shout.

Last edited by jansjetta; 05-03-2020 at 09:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-03-2020, 10:41 PM

I did this several months ago although I had more to remove since mine is a 2018 EFI. I got my block off plate from KLX678 but he said that was the last one he had. I have also seen them on eBay but if you don’t want to spend the money any of the ways you mentioned will work.

On mine one of the tank lines was a fuel return (red mark under tank) which I removed and capped at the tank. The other line (blue mark) was a vent which I left on and ran down in front of the shock.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Why do I need a block off plate? Mine is a 2009. I think I'm confused because some have just capped theirs off and others have talked about block off plates. Is it necessary to use a block off plate for non EFI"s? Here's what I did. Bike runs great!

Old 05-04-2020, 01:47 AM

EFI or not what you did is perfectly acceptable as it makes no difference performance wise. I just prefer the cleaner look of the block off plate and it also allows for removal of the complete reed valve assembly, cover and hose.

Old 05-04-2020, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

AHH, good to here. Just wanted to clear it up. So the plate is just more esthetics? Thanks for the peace of mind.

Old 05-04-2020, 12:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I have one plate left I found. Don't plan on taking off the stuff on my bike, too lazy and figure it keeps the air a bit cleaner, so what the heck... Why bother with what doesn't add power and takes that much effort to save a pound? It ain't the MCM and to do the pollution removal you have taken off enough stuff to get to the cam cover remove it and do the work to gain more power in the usable range for no cost.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

On the other hand, you remove the Air Injection System in order to fix decel popping and to lower exhaust system temps.

On a high performance KLX (especially when running a large pilot jet) removal of the system should be considered mandatory.

Last edited by Klxster; 05-04-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Seems like a no brainer!

Old 05-04-2020, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

It is. But all of us - me included - to some extent, hold beliefs, opinions, and "positions" that interfere with critical thinking and "good" decision making.

I think some might agree with me that cops should be allowed to pull over those driving some POS billowing a quart of oil per mile into our air. And given a warning ticket, a "real" ticket, or if they're an illegal alien - jail. And remember, these are better solutions than shooting out their tires as you drive by - in case anyone's thought of doing that..

Last edited by Klxster; 05-04-2020 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 smog removal