2009 KLX250S Ticking Noise Kinda Sporadic

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 07:27 PM
Default 2009 KLX250S Ticking Noise Kinda Sporadic

Hey guys - new to the forum, new to Kawasaki’s and new to my 2009 KLX250s. I’m having a blast on this thing. Coming from a vintage bike background, jumping on this bike and being able to hit the button and go without worry is a new type of exciting.

One thing does bother me, though. I’ve noticed a tick that doesn’t sound like valves, and doesn’t sound like the cam chain. It’s much more defined than that. It increases with RPM, and totally goes away between 4-5k and comes back after. It’s not as present under hard load at high RPMs but is EXTREMELY present upon engine deceleration and low RPMs. I have read a bit and discovered that this has a KACR that could be the culprit, but I’m just not very familiar with that system or its failures.

The tick doesn’t go away with temperature, can’t be heard at idle from what I can tell and can’t really be heard above 55 mph or so. That may be due to wind noise and low load.

I did read that catastrophic failures for KACR causing engine failures are few and far between...correct me if I’m wrong there. I’m not looking to remove components here but I would like to figure out what this is.

I did do some searching but if I missed some threads about this, please point me to them!

Thanks!

Old 10-09-2018, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to KF
Most likely a simple thing...the automatic cam chain tensioner.
It fails like crazy on the KLX250.
You can diagnose further with a mechanic's stethoscope or big screwdriver.
Search around and you'll find many threads.
Luckily, a member hear make a great manual cam chain adjuster. And for a very fair price.
Paging Mark Krieger aka @klx678
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-failed-45280/

KCCT Products Page

Old 10-09-2018, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Welcome to KF
Most likely a simple thing...the automatic cam chain tensioner.
It fails like crazy on the KLX250.
You can diagnose further with a mechanic's stethoscope or big screwdriver.
Search around and you'll find many threads.
Luckily, a member hear make a great manual cam chain adjuster. And for a very fair price.
Paging Mark Krieger aka @klx678
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-failed-45280/

KCCT Products Page

Thanks! I did see that manual adjuster and plan on purchasing that to at least rule that out. It doesn’t sound like marbles though so I wouldn’t have guessed cam tensioner.

Old 10-10-2018, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the start of failure. When it does sound like marbles, you're really close to the possibility of having the cam drive skip timing which can be quite disastrous. You have time to get a hold of a manual unit without stopping riding. My email is on the web site several places and an example of the tensioner - actually in TNC's bike, the prototype - is shown in products. Email me, don't do ebay, I charge a bit more there due to fees. I do use PayPal, which gives you the consumer protection when buying merchandise or services. Either way, email me.

It won't be a KACR, because the shoes are fully in (not hitting the valve cap) at any rpm over around 800 rpm or so. They only make noise if the idle is really crazy low.

If/when you get in to do the valves consider disabling or even removing the KACR, my 2009 KLX250 doesn't need it. In fact some riders in the KLX650 group run without them on the 650s. I do have the KACR on my 650, it really works hard to spin over. Some just remove the spring, which works, I literally fixed mine using the proper gauge wire, bending up a piece to hold the shoes so there is no movement in the fully disengaged position, out of contact with the valve cap all the time. With jetting, my 250 fires really quickly and warms up fast too. Also did the MCM.