2009 KLX250S running issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

TNC: I have the stock 35 pilot jet. The three turns out was advised in the dynojet kit. I can still install another epa plug if I have to. I have access to a 38 pilot jet but would have to have it ordered for the correct carb, My parts guy sold me one for a different type of Mikuni.

rgoers: I did plug up the two vent holes in the air box, the vacume nozzle on the carb, after removing the EPA stuff, My bike is also a CA Model but with the starting issues, and the lack of get up when starting off at a dead stop, I felt it was a little lean. I also slapped on a 13T drive sprocket to get a little more start off torque.
But the KLX has to sit for a while now I need to finish my MX400 restore.
Thank you both for the help

Old 03-22-2012, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chad2787
TNC: I have the stock 35 pilot jet. The three turns out was advised in the dynojet kit. I can still install another epa plug if I have to. I have access to a 38 pilot jet but would have to have it ordered for the correct carb, My parts guy sold me one for a different type of Mikuni.

rgoers: I did plug up the two vent holes in the air box, the vacume nozzle on the carb, after removing the EPA stuff, My bike is also a CA Model but with the starting issues, and the lack of get up when starting off at a dead stop, I felt it was a little lean. I also slapped on a 13T drive sprocket to get a little more start off torque.
But the KLX has to sit for a while now I need to finish my MX400 restore.
Thank you both for the help
Just curious... was your fuel screw turned out 1.0 turns (as most people are reporting) or 2.5 turns like mine was??? Since mine was out 2.5 turns from the factory, I'm attributing that to my LACK of a starting problem (pre-DynoJet).

Post-DynoJet; I now have to choke to start every time. Before I jetted it, I used to be able to start without choking on warmer days (50F+). I'm going to leave it as-is for now.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chad2787
Three turns out may be the advised starting point, but if you can, spend some time adjusting it to find the sweet spot. That will tell you if you need a larger one. This is usually done by turning the idle up a bit, and finding the fuel screw setting that gives the highest rpm. I stop there. Some guys go just a little richer (I think) with 1/4 turn or so IIRC. If the sweet spot is 1 turn or less out, get a smaller pilot. If 3 turns or more out, get a larger one.