2009 KLX250S Oil Leaks All Seals

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by suberizedwrx
Are these the breather tubes (yellow and red) that need to be patent?
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...ictures035.jpg

- these are the carb breather tubes. Keep em in place and make sure they don't get pinched, clogged, or melted.

Should I do this T-Piece deal?
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...ictures036.jpg

- do this if you ride through deep water. The other part of the T connector should have lines running up, like to near the airbox top.

And do I need to do this with the black hose (not sure what it's called)

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...ictures034.jpg

- Don't bother doing this. TNC and others have said it's not needed for this bike. I did it and it's kind of a PITA to deal with.

I still don't know if this is where one of the leaks come from. I think the leaks are only from the oil drain ( I need a washer...already ordered it) and the side of the casing in a picture I posted above (post 41) (needs a gasket..and that's been ordered too).
Good luck with your project

Old 10-19-2012, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I replaced the gasket which fixed the cap leak. <---Step One.

Also bought a new oil drain plug by Zeta as well as a rubber washer from autozone. <---Stop Two.

Zero oil leaks now.

Still curious why the there is a radiator leak hole...which drips out a mL of radiator fluid every couple of seconds when the bike is running. I have to replace the radiator fluid in the reservoir (next to the battery) after 300 or so miles or it runs dry.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

If the hole you are talking about is located by the water pump, that is a weep hole designed to let you know that the seal is starting to go. Its usually located between the seal that keeps oil out of the water and water out of the oil. At least that's been my experience on diesel motors. I'm sure its probably the same on our bikes. There is a ceramic seal that has been lapped as a set and if it starts to go bad then its time to change it.

Its the same thing on my Water pump seals at work. except with them there is no weep hole, no need since its only a water and not water/oil application.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by suberizedwrx
Still curious why the there is a radiator leak hole...which drips out a mL of radiator fluid every couple of seconds when the bike is running. I have to replace the radiator fluid in the reservoir (next to the battery) after 300 or so miles or it runs dry.
coolant leaks from that weep hole indicate a failing/failed mechanical seal which also may introduce coolant into your oil, (or oil into your coolant) you need to get that fixed asap

Old 10-19-2012, 09:15 PM
1st Gear Member

What do I need to fix this? Just a special order plug? Do you guys have the exploded Kawi manual where you can point out the section and the part that needs replacing. This should be a quick fix right since I'm working from the side of the bike?

I'll check for a response in the AM. I work this PM. Thanks in advance (TIA)!