2009 KLX250S Oil Leaks All Seals

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default New Leaks! Booo! Hiss! ;)

Check the pictures out.

One picture shows a hole on the underside of my KLX250S 2009. It's leaking radiator coolant. Is that supposed to be open like that?! All my coolant levels seems fine...so if this is some kind of excess coolant disposal method it's new to me.

Second picture shows where oil is leaking! Argh! I need a gasket! Where is that website that shows the exploded view so I can order the right one? I live next to Chaparral Motorsports...so they have these exploded views...but I'm staying home today. Enough's enough. I was just there. Bought some Troy Lee Designs knee/shin guards (very nice btw).

Thirdly...my dang oil plug is leaking...is there a washer that's supposed to go with it?

Thanks in advance! Btw...I'm selling this baby soon. She blew two valves...got it repair GULP (almost a grand$$$). Looking at the new 650 with ABS or the 300 with ABS. What are your thoughts on these Kawis...I'm open to other manufacturers as well. Kinda looking at the V-Storm. Don't want to go carb any more and I'm leaning toward street...but still like trails. No KLR though.

Btw...that one bad bang on the bike's right side was repaired at a local bike shop! Pays to look around.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the same hole so I don't think it's anything to worry about. I can't really see where the oil is leaking from because it's dirty. And yes there is supposed to be a washer for the drain plug.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the quick reply. The oil leak is on the second picture. You can't really see it since I cleaned it...but it's leaking from the casing cover that I'm pointing at right where a gasket would be between the body and the case cover. I think the gasket needs replacing. I was wondering where the exploded views of this case cover would be. TIA!

Old 10-10-2012, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

OK, now I get it. Try going here...Kawaski Parts for Less | Kawasaki Parts House
I think the part number is 11060-1640

Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Perfect! Thanks!

Old 10-11-2012, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Check to see that your breather is not clogged.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Where is this breather located? Is it easy to unclog? Thanks!

Old 10-12-2012, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

there is a tube that goes from the crankcase to the airbox, lower right side.
The "nipple" that the tube fits on has a small hole in it (1/4" or so) I drilled mine out bigger to let it breath more on the downstroke and not pressurize the crankcase so much.
My OEM filler cap "O" ring leaked from the start and i bought a new OEM one which is not leaking. Also, the valve cover gasket will leak if you try to reuse it so get a new gasket before you think about a valve check.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Are these the breather tubes (yellow and red) that need to be patent?
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...ictures035.jpg

Should I do this T-Piece deal?
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...ictures036.jpg

And do I need to do this with the black hose (not sure what it's called)

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...ictures034.jpg

I still don't know if this is where one of the leaks come from. I think the leaks are only from the oil drain ( I need a washer...already ordered it) and the side of the casing in a picture I posted above (post 41) (needs a gasket..and that's been ordered too).

Last edited by suberizedwrx; 10-12-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by suberizedwrx
Thanks for the quick reply. The oil leak is on the second picture. You can't really see it since I cleaned it...but it's leaking from the casing cover that I'm pointing at right where a gasket would be between the body and the case cover. I think the gasket needs replacing. I was wondering where the exploded views of this case cover would be. TIA!
if you mean the small cover with 3 bolts in it, there is no gasket, that is the oil filter cover, it has an o'ring.....

Quick Reply: 2009 KLX250S Oil Leaks All Seals