2009 KLX250s Oil Leak Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:55 AM
Default 2009 KLX250s Oil Leak Issue

I bought my KLX250s from Santa Ana Kawasaki (OTD) which are great and always eager to help. My problem started when I noticed an oil leak (two drops at the bottom of the frame near the foot pegs) on day one. Didn't think much of it at first, could just be from adding the oil etc. When the leak persisted I tracked it down to the fill cap. After inspecting the fill cap which "seemed OK" I noticed that it really did not "feel" like the O-Ring on the fill cap was seating into the case. I took the bike down to the Marina Kawasaki dealer (closest one to me) and showed them the problem. So the service manager looks at me and says "Yep, your right. I guess you could go to the hardware store and try to find an O-Ring that will fit", and another mechanic says "Well, you could just put in thicker oil, I bet that will stop the leak, since it is only a drop or two". With absolutely no solution on hand I proceeded to take out the fill caps from all the other KLX250s bikes on the floor. I figured if it was different I could swap it out, but every one I looked at was exactly the same as the one I had. I took the cap and O-Ring to the parts department and he came out and looked at the bike. He too agreed that it did not "feel" like the right O-Ring. He goes in the back and returns after a few minutes with an O-Ring, and he says "I think this will do the trick, Lets go outside and try it out on your bike!" Well, it was a perfect fit and I have not had one single drop of oil since the new O-Ring on the fill cap!

I can only assume that there WILL be others with the same problem and that Kawasaki should be notified, both of the problem and poor management at the Marina Del Rey Kawasaki. More on this to come.

Okay so here is the part number for those who might need to know: Part Number 91306-634-000 HO FMP O RING 17X3.5 Price: $2.37

Now since this is a brand new 2009 and under WARRANTY you would think since I did all the research to find the leak and the proper solution, that they would gladly give me the $2.37 O-Ring. But NO, as nice as the sales person (Ozzie)was and he was extremely helpful, he was still unable to give me the part and charged me in full!

I certainly do not fault the sales person but the poor management that would let this happen to what would have been a great customer but was sent off to Santa Ana because they simply could not come close to making a "Deal", but this is another story! If someone from Kawasaki read this forum they might want to check into this since it looks to me like a production problem! As far as the Marina Del Rey Dealer, I wish I had another choice nearby at least for service.

Chris

Old 07-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Default RE: 2009 KLX250s Oil Leak Issue

yeah that aint cool., leaky rubbers suck., mine doest fit as snug as it could if i changed t ring., im gona try that ****e.,its crazy but just mite work

Old 07-09-2008, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

hey chris thanks for the right up and partnumbers and WELCOME TO KF DUDE!!!

Old 07-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

if someone from kawi read this... it would make no difference, and on top of that if they read u were doing it your self would probably void your warranty.... when i had all those problems with my bike, it amazed me how much faith kawasaki as a company had in the guys at the dealers to fix the bikes.... im not callin them mechanics, cause they are not.... horrible...

Old 07-09-2008, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the BIG welcome JRock420. I am a new rider in the Los Angeles area. Have not ridden in 30 years, a bit of off road riding as a yougster. Just trying to save gas and stay alive!

Old 07-09-2008, 04:43 PM

Yea I can see your point about the warranty however the Kawi Dwealer sent me to the hardware store, and told me to put in thicker oil, Kawigave methe correct part, and rememberr kawi made absolutely no effort to report the problem, make a call or help in any way. Now if push came to shove who do you think would win in court under the lemon law. Oil leaks thst can not be repaired or simply ignored would definetly not become my problem, and the poor advice given by the dealership would certainly set the tone for the case. I am sure that Kawasaki does not condone the actionor comments made by the Marina Del Rey dealership. This is clearly a production problem!

Chris
2009 KLX250s
Lime Green

Old 07-10-2008, 10:52 AM
1st Gear Member

The 'thicker oil' suggestion wouldhave floored me. I would haveread them the riot act then and there. Sounds like they just didn't care and were being smart azzes to boot.

ORIGINAL: chrisamarx

Yea I can see your point about the warranty however the Kawi Dwealer sent me to the hardware store, and told me to put in thicker oil, Kawigave methe correct part, and rememberr kawi made absolutely no effort to report the problem, make a call or help in any way. Now if push came to shove who do you think would win in court under the lemon law. Oil leaks thst can not be repaired or simply ignored would definetly not become my problem, and the poor advice given by the dealership would certainly set the tone for the case. I am sure that Kawasaki does not condone the actionor comments made by the Marina Del Rey dealership. This is clearly a production problem!

Chris
2009 KLX250s
Lime Green

Old 07-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Ya need to call kawaski directly, and speak to one of thier techs.... and tell them the whole story, then take your bike back to the dealer and tell the dealer to call kawasaki, and give them the reference # the tech gives you.... or you need to find a new dealer, any kawi dealer can work on your bike.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Chris,

Typical dealer stuff there, I have the same problem, never really worried about it until now, guess I'll take my cap down to the hardware and see if I can one that fits, or go to kawasaki dealer and wait a couple of weeks to get one.

Thanks for pointing out and Welcome to the Forum Dude..

Chris.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:18 PM

So I spoke with a support representitive at Kawasaki and he was very nice and appologetic, and assured me that he would look into both problems. (The O-Ring and the Marina Del Rey Dealership) Basically I would not expect anything changes. Thanks for all the welcomes

Quick Reply: 2009 KLX250s Oil Leak Issue