2009 klx250 no start. is it crap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I use STA-BIL in my fuel tank, maybe that is why I don’t have problems.

STA-BIL FUEL STABILIZER
For quick starts after storage
Keeps fuel fresh
1 oz. treats 2-1/2 gallons of gas or diesel fuel
Protects engine from gum, varnish, rust, corrosion
Contains no alcohol

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx

Old 12-22-2009, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I do use a bit of Seafoam or Stabil in my tank from time to time. Particularly during winter when my rides are shorter and the bike sits for longer without running.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:38 AM
1st Gear Member

i keep gas in mine.. seems to like it... lol just thought id be a smart *** =P

Old 12-25-2009, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I now have two KLX an 09 s as described in my sig with FCR and an 08sf with less than 100 miles on it completly stock. My 09 came with the FCR and yesterday when I came back from a 2 week job I was able to start it after turning on the petcock and cranking for a few seconds. The 08 was hard to start and it had just been uncrated and put together the day before by my friends. In my opinion the CV carb is not ideal. If it ends up that much of a PIA to start I will fire the CV carb and either get a FCR or a Mikuni. I got the sf for the GF and I dont want her to have to shake and lean the bike to get it started. Thats BS
Cheers Jim

Old 01-16-2010, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member

my 07 was hard to start also if it didn't run for a while,or when it was cold.I found that if i hit the start button for a few seconds THEN pull out the choke,it starts right up.Pulling the choke out while you are cranking on it seems to work.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

My 2009 (with carb) has been sitting for a month due to the 30 deg temps we've had. Didnt turn the gas off when I parked it. I've tried the lean over, the bouncing, but it still won't crank. It turns over good and it's 60 deg today. I'm ready to put a match to it. Any other suggestions?

Old 01-18-2010, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scallen
My 2009 (with carb) has been sitting for a month due to the 30 deg temps we've had. Didnt turn the gas off when I parked it. I've tried the lean over, the bouncing, but it still won't crank. It turns over good and it's 60 deg today. I'm ready to put a match to it. Any other suggestions?
When you say "won't crank", I'd take that to mean the engine will not turn over at all. Is that what you mean?

Old 01-19-2010, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes it turns over good but won't run.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

The description for that malady is: "Cranks, but won't start".

Old 01-19-2010, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Excuse the incorrect use of the word "crank". "A crank is an arm attached at right angles to a rotating shaft by which reciprocating motion is imparted to or received from the shaft", I guess I should have said that the crankshaft rotates, but the lack of combustion in the cylinder walls does not occur, even though there appears to be compression, fuel, and fire, the three things that are needed for combustion to occur in the cylinder. Oh, by the way, I came home from work this afternoon and did the following. 1) opened and consumed a beer. 2) turned the petcock to off. 3) Leaned the bike over to the right side and allowed the carb to expell gas. 4) Turned the gas back on. 5) Turned the ignition on. 6) Pressed the start button and held it on while slowly pulling the choke out. 7) IGNITION-BLASTOFF
I let it warm up for a while then turned the petcock off and let it run out of gas. Went back an hour later, and followed the same proceedure except for draining the gas and it started just like before. Am anxious to see what happens tomorrow when I get home. Will advise as to what I find. Sorry guys, but down here in the southeast, we "CRANK" it up.

Last edited by scallen; 01-19-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 klx250 no start. is it crap?