2009 klx250 no start. is it crap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 2009 klx250 no start. is it crap?

I have a 2009 klx250s with 1900 miles on it and it is a pain in the rear to start! Has anyone else had this problem. I think it is the carb maybe coming to rich form the factory can anyone help.

I live in oklahoma and right now its about 25 degrees and in my garage it hasn't started for the last 2 months basically. This bike needs help obviously

Old 12-16-2009, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Default search function

there are many threads here on a wont start issue.
several methods of starting cold.
Some say run it out of gas before shutting it off, others say shake the bike back and forth ( stuck float??) and one guy actually put a primer pump in line. I can tell you that it is NOT rich.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ighlight=start
start here, good luck

Last edited by GaryC; 12-16-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Did you say 2009 model?

Nothing can be done I afraid. 09's are crap as you put it.
Get it on ebay and look around for a good 06 one.

Seriously now, sounds like the same problem we all have with the CV carb.
Don't know what causes it but if you run the bowl dry before you kill the motor, it fixs the problem.

BTW, they run very lean in stock form not rich.
Do a re-jet.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

They are lean from the factory. A dynojet kit and T handle fuel screw make it easier to get right. Mine can be hard to start if it sits awhile or is cold, but all that it takes to get it going is to shut off the gas and drain the fuel bowl (there is an allen screw on the bottom right side of the carb for this). Then turn the gas on and it cranks up immediately.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Is your battery fully charged?

My bike ('07) never fails to start, even after it's been sitting for weeks. I've never bothered to run the carb empty or drain the fuel bowl or any of that other stuff. The bike is always plugged in to a battery tender whenever it's in the garage.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking Starting

You can seach this in the forums, but this seems to be a "normal" thing for this bike.
I had/ have this problem with my 2007 and was educated by others to do the following;

1) Turn on the fuel.
2) Pull the choke on.
3) Hold the front brake and rock back & forth significantly for about 5 seconds.
4) Turn key on and push the starter button.

Sounds like BS, but it acually works!

Good luck, Glen

Old 12-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well I've never gotten the bike to start by shaking it or even as someone on here mentioned covering the exhaust???? Here is the procedure, and welcome to the forums.

Empty the carb if the bike is going to sit for a few days. And as far as the choke, I have the time down to a science now. I come home for lunch everyday, and if my lunch runs a little long, say 1 hr and 15 minutes, I have to use the choke. If I cut the lunch to an hour or less the bike will start up without using the choke. As far as the hard starting goes, remember the shut down procedure and you'll never have a problem guaranteed.

This is the original thread for hard starts. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_96672/tm.htm

Here is the basic information.

Shut down procedure.

1. After riding as you are pulling into your driveway, or to speed things up you can do this a block from your house, turn off the gas.
2. Let the bike run until it actually dies from gas starvation, (this may take 2-5 minutes) But that's ok it will give you time to put away your gear.
3. Park it and now you're ready for the next time you ride whether that be in a day, or a month.

Start up procedure.

1. Turn on the gas
2. Wait for 10 seconds
3. Start the bike as you always do

Old 12-16-2009, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Keep in mind that if you ride the bike everyday, you will not need to run the gas out. However if the bike is going to sit for a few days, a week, a month, then follow the above procedure.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm with HeavyFuel.. My 07 ALWAYS starts whether I leave it for a day or for three months. I've left it in my garage last year from December to April with nothing but a full tank of gas. It took like 3 seconds to fire up in April.. No battery tenders, no stabilizers, no draining the carb.. It just works.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Well you are in the minority group of KLX owners then.

Quick Reply: 2009 klx250 no start. is it crap?