2009 KLX to mod or buy a different bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm 160# and the spring rates are just fine for me, stock, for dirt, SuperMoto, or regular street riding.

Old 05-09-2022, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I think he said he was 200#.
So you take your KLX on a supermoto track, how high do you go? .... a video or it didn't happen!

Old 05-10-2022, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Electrician
Is this Amazon source a legit and reliable source for the Mikuni?

$247.00

https://www.amazon.com/Mikuni-Slide-...s%2C451&sr=8-1

No that is not the one you want. That is not the pumper carb and the price is high for the plain flat slide. Unless that is not an accurate description. The picture is a TM36-2 without accelerator pump. It is more commonly used on two strokes, but will work on four strokes.

This is a flat slide pumper

This one is listed at $267.09 with free shipping. Click here to see listing
You may want to see what the jetting is then compare to that in Pippin's site for comparison.

Old 05-10-2022, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by klx678
No that is not the one you want. That is not the pumper carb and the price is high for the plain flat slide. Unless that is not an accurate description. The picture is a TM36-2 without accelerator pump. It is more commonly used on two strokes, but will work on four strokes.

This is a flat slide pumper

This one is listed at $267.09 with free shipping. Click here to see listing
You may want to see what the jetting is then compare to that in Pippin's site for comparison.

Great. Thanks for the link.

Old 05-11-2022, 11:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I vote for bigger bike with better suspension.
Changed my KLX BB351 to DRZ400 and now I am much happier. The power of KLX with big bore is more or less Ok, but suspension in my opinion is hopeless. DRZ has Showa shocks which are way better.
However, DRZ ir heavier and seat height is significantly higher.

I'm considering modding my stock 2009 KLX250. I am 200#, and looking for more power and better suspension for aggressive trail riding here in the PNW. Currently not enough power on the uphills or throttle response out of the corners, and the suspension bottoms and wallows.

After digging around here it looks like Race Tech is the way to go for suspension and B & B cycle for a 351 kit. Anyone or anything else I should consider? Or would I be better off looking for a different, bigger displacement bike with better suspension? Not sure I would need to go all the way up to a 450 - my last bike was a modded YZ250F that go the job in the woods done just fine - wasn't street legal though. Would like to make my KLX work if it can.

Old 05-11-2022, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kwak
Changed my KLX BB351 to DRZ400 and now I am much happier. The power of KLX with big bore is more or less Ok, but suspension in my opinion is hopeless. DRZ has Showa shocks which are way better.

I’m definitely considering that option now. $1600 quote from Race Tech for the suspension. Ouch. The KLX is a solid and reliable bike but I’m not sure if it makes sense for me to spend $2k+ on it.

Last edited by Electrician; 05-11-2022 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

@ 200#, your going to have to redue the suspension on any bike you get, if you want to ride hard & want it to handle the bumps, IMO.

Old 05-13-2022, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kwak
Why is a shock with both rebound and compression damping adjustment that can be revalved bad? Had you sent the suspension out to a place like Race Tech? Either bike can have the shock revalved to suit the rider. Same with the forks. Don't bet on the Showa being way better, either KYB or Showa can be reworked and it really depends on which model of a maker's shock you have. Neither bike has the quality of shock that the MX bikes have. They will have the latest and trickest production part affordable for the bike. Fact is for the last six years Yamaha has had the best suspension using KYB SSS series suspension in the MXA shoot out.

Just sayin'...

Old 05-13-2022, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I’m definitely considering that option now. $1600 quote from Race Tech for the suspension. Ouch. The KLX is a solid and reliable bike but I’m not sure if it makes sense for me to spend $2k+ on it.
I'd say check out some other suspension shops. If you are like me you really don't need the top shelf stuff. A simple revalve fo the shock and something like a Gold Seal fork kit would likely be peachy for me.

Old 05-13-2022, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Get a better bike if you're looking for more. These KLX's are fine for putting around, but you'll always be chasing more with this bike. The power increase even with mods is not much for the money. We have people on this forum gaining two horsepower on a bike that makes no power to begin with and acting like it's some thoroughbred machine. It ain't.

It's slow, it's very heavy for a "dirt bike", and the suspension is not good either. The stock fork valves are shared with the KX50... You can revalve, you can re-spring, you can go with a big bore kit and carb and exhaust and end up spending a significant amount of money to still end up with a bike that weighs 300 pounds, ends up costing almost as much as a real dirt bike would have, and still doesn't compare to the real thing.

This isn't a platform worth sinking money into. I know some here will disagree, whatever, but go ride a bike with some actual power and suspension and you'll be over the KLX immediately. The money some people throw at their KLXs around here to polish a turd blows my mind. If you're past this bike as a rider then you're past this bike.

Quick Reply: 2009 KLX to mod or buy a different bike?