Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

I wheelied this tank

Old 08-09-2009, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
looked pretty effortless in the video, it's all about technique
Its not... and AGAIN, if you have to use technique...its not effortless. You should just roll the throttle back. Thats how most properly powered machines work. This machine is made not to wheelie, probably becuase its a road machine and safety is involved. Thats why it has that huge *** flywheel.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

and look like one

it looked effortless to me, see it's a matter of opinion and they are like arseholes. Everyone has one

Old 08-09-2009, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
Its not... and AGAIN, if you have to use technique...its not effortless. You should just roll the throttle back. Thats how most properly powered machines work. This machine is made not to wheelie, probably becuase its a road machine and safety is involved. Thats why it has that huge *** flywheel.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record.
so in your opinion anything that takes a little technique should not you should just be able to roll the throttle on and the bike does it for you? I'll give Ricky Carmichael a ring and tell him he doesn't have to train any more just roll on the throttle and the bike will win races for him, I'm sure he will want to know that

Old 08-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

All I know is the best off-road riders in the world use this same technique and they also teach it. It's not a crutch for lack of power, it's used on all styles, makes, and models of bikes and all kinds of surface and terrain conditions. Power does squat on slick rocks or mud, wet roots or loose shale. Apparently I made the mistake of trying to help someone understand something that they have already made up their closed little mind about. But whatever. Let the guy who can't wheely his KLX teach you how to wheely, what do I care?

Last edited by Nobrakes; 08-10-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Pretty sure my 14 yr old can do a wheelie on mine, too. I can't...haven't got the guts and never learned on my XR400...at least not a *controlled* wheelie on the 400 (I swear it tried to kill me)

Old 08-10-2009, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

It's effortless to get the front end up on my stock Klx. I could easily flip it over if I wanted to. The hard part of riding a wheelie is the rear brake technique. Period. If you want the power to have the front end come up without pulling up then you have to mod the KLX or buy a yz250 or similar purely off road bike.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
This machine is made not to wheelie, probably becuase its a road machine and safety is involved. Thats why it has that huge *** flywheel.
Actually the flywheel on the klx is not that heavy ..... I was going to pay a company to shave it for me and they talked me out of it because according to them the results were not worth it and I was going to PAY them to do it...I even insisted ... but level heads prevailed. I know a couple on here have done it and the results were .... well lack luster.

But the klx is no wheelie machine for sure. On a side note one of my riding buds can wheelie a trail 70 in sugar sand a country mile. just sayin.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tiggerzzz
As my confidence grows I am finding the stock bike fun but I want more.

To get the front wheel off the ground I have to use the cluthch and higher revs that make me fear flipping over instead of just lifting the wheel.

Either I am doing something totally wrong (likely) or I need more power (I made it a whole week!) or both

A guy locally has a 4.1 fmf tail piece and mega bomb exhaust that fits a 2007 k x four stroke will this work for my bike
Get a bigger bike.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Okay, I just went out and tried the drill that Nobrakes suggested and, by golly, it works! I was getting wheelies without the clutch. Cool! I also was drenched in sweat after about 20 minutes. Effort was definitely expended but with practice I think it will get less "effortful", if not effortless. It's probably like in any high skill sport, the more you practice the moves the easier you can make them look when you start to get them down.

I'd like to find a field of freshly mown hay and practice this for an hour.

Quick Reply: 2009 klx 250s how to wheelie