2009 instrumentation and aftermarket bits

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I ordered the Vapor kit for the KLX300 from Motostrano (www.motostrano.com). It comes with the radiator hose insert temperature sensor. Tomorrow I'll drain my radiator and measure the threads on stock temp switch, then order the radiator temp sensor from Trailtech. Also going to order the cable adapter from Electrosport so I can use the stock speedometer gear on the front wheel instead of the magnetic sensor. I've got OEM Kawasaki electrical connectors coming from Vintage Connections so I can wire it all up to plug into the stock dash connector. And I think I have the wiring figured out to split the L/R turn signals onto separate lights.

I once did this with my 73 Torino and put in a gauge cluster from a 75 Cougar. lol That car was held together by electrical tape.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Vapor came yesterday. I took a perverted delight in cutting apart their wiring and installing a stock Kawi dash connector on it. Soldered it up while on a conference call. lol

They're now sending LED replacement bulbs for the indicator light dashboard. Immediately ran into a wiring issue: the neutral switch lead coming into the dash connector is GROUND unlike all the other connectors in the dash (except the main ground). I had to separate the leads for the neutral light and splice the + lead into the main power (along with the speedo unit). Neutral switch "-" goes into the connector block. This way the bulb is installed into the socket with the correct polarity (and the wiring makes sense).

Plugged it in and BAM! Worked like a friggin champ. :-) I even separated the R/L turn signal indicators onto two lamps.

Installing the speedo sensor later this week...the Electrosport cable was useless.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Ive had the Vapor for about a year now, a nice unit until two weeks ago
on a ride home from the mountains both the LED's came on, i checked the water temp
and it said 953f, then the Mode button wouldn't work ,the next day the screen was blank
i called Trail Tech and they told me to send it to them and they would look at it
what I'm worried about is the warranty ran out one week before the problem,
so we will see what there customer service is like.