2009 instrumentation and aftermarket bits

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 2009 instrumentation and aftermarket bits

(reposted in my very own thread)

Yesterday my six-year-old violated the rules about always riding in one direction on our trail. I now have an AC separation (hurts worse than it sounds) and he has a broken wrist. The KLX needs a new fender, "number plate", and top casing for the speedo (broke the glass in it). His CRF50 needs handlebars. Guess I lost that one.

(redpillar: sorta head-on...more of a t-bone)

Anyhow, I started looking into the Trailtech Vapor. Then I thought "why not put on 2009 meters?"

Turns out you can't...not easily. The entire wiring harness is different and the 2009 uses a magnetic sensor for the speedo. Looks like less work to put in a Vapor.

I'm looking at using Acerbis' headlight and front fender. Does anyone have any input on DHH, Dimension HP, Cyclops, or DHH CE? For the fender I'm probably going to get an Acerbis Tecnik in black & green. I was thinking of switching to 2009 OEM headlight and fender, but wayyy too spendy.

I saw a couple folks put on Vapors back in 2006. How are they holding up? Any issues with fabrication of the mount or wiring that came up later? I'm looking at the Vapor with the Indicator Dashboard...roughly $150US vs $40 to replace the stock meters. Worth the upgrade, I think.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

The Acerbis headlights are very popular. Lots of users on this and the ADV forum. They will all fit, although you'll need to fab' a bracket for the instruments as the OE headlight bracket holds the headlight and cowl. Not an issue if you're fitting a Trailtech comp' though. Just take the headlight and instruments off in one go. Take your pick with a fender. They all match up pretty easily.
Hope you mend soon. I've been scared away from great local riding spot by the same issue. Lot's of guys/gals on quads and bikes riding the wrong way on the circuit. A few close calls had me finding some new trails to ride.
The Acerbis Cyclops is a fav' of mine. I'll fit that one if the need arises.
Twin 55 halogen lenses and DOT legal.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, WestOZ. I'm leaning more and more toward the Cyclops. Not gonna win any beauty contests, but it looks like it would work well...and deflect more wind on the road.

My six-year-old was hatin' life today when he couldn't ride. I read up a bit on Type II AC Separations - I got about 3 weeks before I'm back on the bike. And lots of goodies to order and put on in the mean time. He's got about 6 weeks to wait. :-(

Old 10-10-2008, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Whats up with the Paris Hilton style headlights? I assume theres a purpose for them being like that? High and Low Beams maybe?
________
Foot Problems Forums

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Right projector is 55 watt low beam. Left lens is 55 watt high beam. Left lens also has 5 watt side light that remains on when the left low beam is on. That gives the appearance of both lights on when low beam is activated.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Too bad about your get off. Cool looking front end though!

Old 10-10-2008, 06:20 AM
1st Gear Member

If I was you I'd look at the Vector http://trailtech.net/motorcycle_vector_kits.html it's the newer model and is cheaper than the Vapor. I have a Vapor and am pretty happy with it overall. Couple of tips, make sure you screw the wheel sensor to the fork don't just zip tie it like me. Yes the zip tie will fail one day and take the cable with it.
Don't bother wrapping the tacho wire around the spark plug lead like they tell you to, it will connect into the wiring harness and work properly.
I bought the protector http://www.trailtech.net/022-TM.html the problem with it is you need to either raise the handlebars and leave the key in the ignition OR remove the ignition switch http://www.trailtech.net/022-PDA.html
The dashboard http://www.trailtech.net/022-PDA.html you are talking about is different and may not have this problem.

Regarding the headlight I bought a mid 90's era KLX/KDX headlight unit which fits with large rubber bands and weighs a fraction of the oe unit. It is lower rated than the stock unit at 35/35w instead of 55/60w however if you don't do a lot of night riding it works great.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...frontsmall.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1.../backsmall.jpg

how the hell do you get photos and links to work in this bloody new forum????????????

Old 10-10-2008, 06:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Acerbis Dimension.Name:  PICT0028.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  78.8 KB

Maybe go for a Garmin Zumo GPS?
I believe the Zumo 450 is under $500 now in the states.
Then you have a GPS as well as a very handy speedo assembly.
Name:  PICT0013-1.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  67.6 KB
Name:  PICT0030.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  74.1 KB

Old 10-10-2008, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey man,,, glad you and your boy is ok and didnt get hurt any worse,,

Old 10-10-2008, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I did some more searching around. Has anyone tried the Electrosport Acewell 3901? It compares favorably to the Vapor:
- tach
- speedo (adjustable) w/ max and average speed
- riding timer
- total riding timer
- TWO tripmeters
- odometer
- L and R turn signal indicators
- high beam indicator
- clock
- temp / max temp

They also sell a Kawasaki-specific adapter cable so you can use the stock speedo gear on the front wheel. I'm willing to bet the cost of the cable that it works with the Vapor, as well.

They use the same temp sensor and tach setup as Vapor.

So my thought is to buy a new 9-pin connector and wire the unit the same as the stock unit (found Kawasaki electrical connectors at http://www.vintageconnections.com). I'm looking now at splitting the combined turn signal indicator into separate lights - looks like all I need to do is run gray to one and gray/yellow to the other and ground each lamp to black/yellow. Has anyone tried this?

Quick Reply: 2009 instrumentation and aftermarket bits