2009 AFX FX-37DS Dual Sport Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I had to lean my head downward. I think it's because they're meant for sports bikes and I sit up more straight when I ride. I really wish I could have kept using it because the full shield is way better for street use.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up Safe? Modulars are suspect?

Originally Posted by dan888
Hey rod I really like that flip up sunshield on that zamp. I ended up getting a street helmet, and think for most of the riding I do it's perfect. I have wondered how secure those flip-up helmets are. What are your impressions. Do you think it is as safe as a one piece? Thanks Dan
Here's the one I got
Hey Dan888, .... Dual Sport ...., The mere word implies more than one utilization .. Right? The thing that I like about the Zamp FL20 is that it is a real street bike helmet with an extra -- in that you don't need the sunglasses (Normally!) The sunscreen, when deployed, allows a small area to the bottom that the sunscreen does not protect. That unprotected area is for viewing the gauges or otherwise seeing the natural lighted area. The use as a dirt bike helmet is even better since it doesn't allow all the dust to get in your face nor in your eyes. Ventilation is superior, IMHO. I especially enjoy the fact that there is no"bill" protruding out front to catch that branch and jerk my "hat' off of my head and jerk my neck in the process. The abscence of a "bill" also enables the smooth airflow at high speeds.

Of course you can ride with the visor up partially or completely, you can also raise the entire lower face shield and still leave the helmet on for that quick stop at the gas station, post office, 7-11, etc. (You don't appear threatening to the merchant either!!) But I really like that you can get your water from the bag with out all the maneuvering with the MX type helmet.

But you asked about the safety, didn't you? All I know is that it is DOT approved, I have driven through a lot of overhanging areas, been swatted by more than one oversize branch that sounded like I had been hit with a baseball bat, and I've bounced my head off of bowling ball sized rocks so many times that I'm embarased to try to count them. The Zamp is still in use and looks like it's still new. It is already two years old though. As you can tell, I'm an enthusiastic user of the Modular FL20 Zamp.

I have three MX type helmets, and an equal number of goggles. They are all gathering a bunch of dust now, since I have discovered the joys of using the Zamp FL20.

Happy trails,

Old 02-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Name:  simpson002.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  103.0 KB
mine is simpson..... works good, but doesnt keep wind and dust out.