2009 250SF Broken Gauge Cluster...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:02 PM
Default 2009 250SF Broken Gauge Cluster...

Hey there, new to the forums and looking for some help.

I've managed to completely annihilate the fancy digital gauges on my embarrassingly new klx250sf. I've been looking at replacement options, both OEM (spendy!) and the trail tech vapor, but in either case my concern is this: what about the miles accumulated before I smashed the LCD into little bits? Should I be concerned about the mileage discrepancy? I don't have any record of the total mileage other than what I last remember it being. I guess I could always roll the wheel by hand until it matches

How is this situation normally handled? I'd like for the odometer to accurately reflect the bikes mileage...

Old 04-18-2010, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Good question. With the OEM cluster, a Kawi dealer may be able to program the odometer mileage back in. Or it could be as simple as swapping a chip. As for the Vapor Trail cluster, I know somebody else on here should be able to answer that.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Can't do it with the Vapor AFAIK

Old 04-18-2010, 11:58 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

As Mav stated, the Vapor permanent odo is not adjustable, and I doubt the OEM setup is either. The Vapor is pretty impressive IMO. My '06 was bought used and it came with one. I love the digital water temp guage and how the speedo can be exactly calibrated to the given wheel/tire size. I used the measurement method listed in the instructions, and it was identical to my GPS.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:46 AM
1st Gear Member

How the hell did you manage to break it??..

Anyway, if you go to your Kawasaki dealer, he may be able to order you in a new speedo with a corrected mileage (your old mileage already on it), I had a replacment speedo on a Harley due to water ingress & it was replaced with a new one with the same mileage as my bike had on it... So I dont see why Kawasaki couldnt offer the same service.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I know with a car when an odometer has to be replaced it starts from zero. I would write down what you think the mileage was on the old one, date the note and put the reason the speedo was replaced. Then put the note with your purchase records so if you sell in the future you have the record to show them. Also, you'll have the receipt for the replacement speedo showing a similar date as the note.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you interested in a perfect condition 06 cluster with 4k miles on it.

I got one sitting in the garage, I'll sell ya.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll be going with the Vapor. After a bit more research I've learned that there is an undocumented programming mode where you can adjust the odo.

As for how I managed to do this... I had a bit of an accident. I panicked in a quick stop, caught way too much front brake and endo'd. Apart from my bruised ego, the instrument cluster fared the worst. As you might have guessed, I'm very much a beginner, so this was a huge wake up call. Once the bike is back together, I'm going to take a few steps back and focus on parking lot practice and off-road/non-traffic situations for a few weeks.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

HAHA..ive been trying to do that for days now. Im been practicing stoppies and all it does is STOP! Guess ill have to really pull on that brake!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

You might want to enrole in a motorcycle course if there is one in your area. They cover the basics, but the techniques are invaluable IMO.

Quick Reply: 2009 250SF Broken Gauge Cluster...