KLX 250s 2009-10
45.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

2009-2010 KLX or 2006-07?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Okay...

If i get this straight, the KLX 2006-07 is a better foundation for "building" a great street legal enduro bike close to what the KLX300R is. Right ?

I've seen the FAQ section but without a bike, I didn't spent much attention. I'll take a look at them later.

So basically, I buy a bike, around 3000-3500$ (canadian dollars) and I should add around 1500$ in modifications. Would it be easier if I buy a DRZ400s for the same price? because the engine already have some guts?

Sorry, I don't want to start a diplomatic incident with this statement.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC

On the suspension, frankly I don't understand why even most of the very expensive off road race bikes require some revalving to really perform up to expectations. After spending $7000 or more, you'd think that the suspension on bikes like that should be almost perfect. They're often not. So the suspension can often come down to the past experience or requirements of the owner. There are few if any dual sport bikes that have a really dialed in suspension.

But frankly it's the motor in stock trim that just sucks IMO. And it's the easier of any of the KLX warts to fix. Simple mods like already mentioned change the character of this bike. Then later on if you go to a bigger bore setup, that's just icing on the cake.

I couldn't agree more with what you said. I think there's a lot of money being spent on big dollar suspension that doesn't need to be these days.

The KLX is a street legal bike, and that is where the problem is. It's required to do all the street stuff, as well as be electric start, and this all adds weight.
For me, the bike handles great,. I just wish it were lighter.
As far as the power is concerned, a muffler, $20 worth of carb parts, and a days work, and the bike is transformed.
I ride at a pretty good pace, and I'm happy with the KLX.

Old 05-30-2010, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I've seen 06/07 KLX's with all the work done, including a big bore for $3500. Keep your eyes open, and you'll find a deal.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bill622
Okay...

If i get this straight, the KLX 2006-07 is a better foundation for "building" a great street legal enduro bike close to what the KLX300R is. Right ?

I've seen the FAQ section but without a bike, I didn't spent much attention. I'll take a look at them later.

So basically, I buy a bike, around 3000-3500$ (canadian dollars) and I should add around 1500$ in modifications. Would it be easier if I buy a DRZ400s for the same price? because the engine already have some guts?

Do some searching and you will find some good arguments about the DRZ vs. the KLX

There's no doubt the DRZ is a great bike. I considered getting one myself but when I bought the KLX it had been 20 years since I'd been on a dirt bike so I felt like the KLX was closer to the size of bike I wanted. The DRZ is just another step up in terms of size, weight, cost (and more power, but one less gear in the tranny) Fast forward 3 years with many sand, dirt, and road miles later, I'm still loving the KLX.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Like many have said, the stock bike stinks as far as power goes, but as someone said, a few mods such as pipe, jet kit, etc. makes it a fun bike. I love my 09 with the mods I have done. Total cash outlay $350.03 tax included. The only real drawback is the small 2 gal fuel tank. 119.4 miles on a tank with my mods. Ask me how I know! 60 MPG, you can't beat that either.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Okay...

I'm no expert (I've had a KLX for less than 350 miles, all a great pleasure fyi) but I've done a lot of riding over all, a lot of reading on forums and reviews and know a few guys on DRZ's. IIRC I've heard the 09 swingarm is better on the KLX ... however I've read a lot of threads before and after my purchase and never seen ANYONE complain about the old swingarm not being a great piece of equipment anyway. With that aside then, IMO After that it's cost, convenience, and cosmetics (in that order) and the 06' is a easier and cheaper platform to build off of and a great looking bike (even though I really like the 09's looks better).

As for the DRZ, for my preferences (and you really need to know or guesstimate or test ride to find your own) I prefer a lighter bike... that's the KLX ... I have a small inseam, so a little shorter seat is better, that's the KLX, I prefer a cheaper bike I can build off of while I get familiar with my machine ... that's the KLX, I prefer a comfy enough seat to do a 100 miles at least without great regret, that's DEFINITELY NOT the DRZ for me (I was uncomfortable the second I sat on one in the show room, once I managed to get my leg over it) the KLX is not a Goldwing by any stretch, but for the cheaper price I can upgrade that seat easy and it's totally live-able as is. 3 rides to break in my butt and i was good to go For my preferences the KLX was a better fit.

People complain a lot about the stock power (mine came with a needle upgrade, and license plate obnoxiousness removed, that's it). My other bike is a KTM LC4 640, with all the free mods. Opened up air box, drilled slide, cut slide spring, custom gearing. I has ridiculous amounts of suspension travel (never bottomed it out, ever) has corvette like acceleration and lofts the front wheel with my 360lb friend on it so easily it scared him off it in 2 laps on a parking lot... I raced a newer mustang, missed 2nd gear, and still beat the pants off it, rode with my friends on 650 sport bikes and they asked me to slow down. Obviously the 250 is a big step down in power, but I still thoroughly enjoy it as is, and know that when I do the 351 kit, I will have a absolutely GREAT time on this bike at a price I can live with on a machine that was practically new (less than 700 miles) when I bought it as a 3 yr old.

Any way you go, I think picking the right bike for your preferences is what will give you the most use and pleasure out of your purchase and any of the bikes discussed will be fun and have personal advantages. Reading some forums will give you a great feel for what guys get the most out of each bike for. For me, my first real bike was the KTM, I bought it because I love off-roading, and I love the off road riding position on road too and I got it for a great deal as a theft recovery. I wasn't experienced enough to know how much effort that particular bike would be on the trails in my area (because I hadn't been able to ride them before to know what they were like). I still road it off road, but slowly realized that it was just a lot more bike than I needed in size, was a lot of work on our slow tight and short trails and I got weary of over-bearing maintenance needs. The KTM is a high maintenance, gold digger relationship for me.

After all that, I did a lot of reading and some test drives and decided on the KLX, it was absolutely amazing. My very first time riding my KLX I was more comfortable off road than I had ever been on my KTM even after 4 years and 10,000 miles of riding that bike. I'm more confident, fit the bike better, it fits me better, and I'm getting way more use out of this bike and will probably part out my LC4 and look for a wifey friendly street emphasis dual sport to replace it. I did my first oil change one handed with my cell phone in 15 minutes and breathed a sigh of pleased relief.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:06 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Okay...

The DRZ400, the street legal one, feels very different than a KLX250 in weight, height, and nimbleness on the trail. I've seen reports all over the place on the weight of KLX's and DRZ's, but I think a DRZ is in the real world area of about 330-340 pounds. The KLX is about 285-295. I still contend the biggest difference between them is the "feel". The DRZ is starting feel like a heavier dual sport bike IMO, whereas the KLX feels like a heavier dirt bike. The DRZ feels more "dirtbike'ish" than say a KLR650 for sure, but the KLX250 feels more like a KLX300...especially the '06-'07 models. If you're going to travel a good deal on pavement or even travel with gear on the bike on a trip, the DRZ is by far a better choice. If you're going to ride some more serious dirt, the KLX is superior.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

"Side by side" comparison:

Old 05-31-2010, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jacksonriding7
I'm no expert

Good lord.......you type like an expert

Back to basics.....lets see a pic of that lc4

Old 05-31-2010, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Good lord.......you type like an expert

Back to basics.....lets see a pic of that lc4
I'm gonna assume that's a compliment and that no one has noticed how long winded I can be

I'll post some pics of both bikes when I get some time to take pretty pictures and pick a hosting sight. My old forum I could upload directly. I love my KTM... but riding my KLX makes me feel like I just got out of an abusive relationship lol.

Quick Reply: 2009-2010 KLX or 2006-07?