2007 KLX 250 For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 2007 KLX 250 For Sale

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

Move then...
There's an intelligent suggestion, spend thousands of dollars to move to save hundreds on a motorcycle.

Prices vary around the country. It's called "supply and demand". The price is exactly what the market will bear, it has little to do with being naive (although I agree it is a factor). When these bikes came out in the fall of 2005, I called around the local area to try to pit the dealers against each other to make the sale. The dealer in Belen, NM told me he did not have a KLX250S. He had ordered one, and it was gone. He also said he could not get me one, because he only places his order (or gets to place his order) once a year. The dealer in Santa Fe was also out. One of the dealers in Albuquerque had one left. I paid more than I wanted to, but less than they wanted.The bikes still sell strong here. They are approximately $5500 OTD. Not everyone pays that much, but many do because the deal here is "take it or leave it".

I'm in the market for another motorcycle. You're such a stud, so when I find the bike I want, I'll give you a call to close the deal for me...

I'm keeping the KLX. I like riding it.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I live in Maine and have as kawi dealer just minutes from home and the New hampshire border.if you live in Maine you pay $4600. for an 07klx and if your from NH you only pay $4354. and thats with a plate and OTD. Just my 2cents

Old 08-03-2007, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: warski

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

Move then...
There's an intelligent suggestion, spend thousands of dollars to move to save hundreds on a motorcycle.

Prices vary around the country. It's called "supply and demand". The price is exactly what the market will bear, it has little to do with being naive (although I agree it is a factor). When these bikes came out in the fall of 2005, I called around the local area to try to pit the dealers against each other to make the sale. The dealer in Belen, NM told me he did not have a KLX250S. He had ordered one, and it was gone. He also said he could not get me one, because he only places his order (or gets to place his order) once a year. The dealer in Santa Fe was also out. One of the dealers in Albuquerque had one left. I paid more than I wanted to, but less than they wanted.The bikes still sell strong here. They are approximately $5500 OTD. Not everyone pays that much, but many do because the deal here is "take it or leave it".

I'm in the market for another motorcycle. You're such a stud, so when I find the bike I want, I'll give you a call to close the deal for me...

I'm keeping the KLX. I like riding it.
That's a good point. If I didn't buy that bike for that price, the dealer would've been happy to send me on my way and sell it to the next guy coming through the door. Dirt bikes/dual purpose bikes are in pretty high demand around here, and people have the money to pay these prices.

I'm surprised this is getting so much airtime. Any publicity is good publicity I guess.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:12 PM

As stated, the tax saving game is a no-go on any vehicle that you register ... which is why lots of used cars and such between individuals are often understated. Give you $10K in cash and the Bill of Sale shows a sale price of $5K. Register it and pay the tax based on the sale price of $5K.

I grew up in SW WA and any large purchase that people made, they run across the border to OR. TVs, furniture, off-road motorcycles, etc. I think in the late 1980s or early 1990s WA implemented some program where you essentially had to register all vehicles, even off-road motorcycles ... so they could collect tax on them. WA dealers probably loved it and the Portland, OR dealers probably saw sales drop significantly.

I also agree with statements on the supply/demand side. The local shop here turns over a lot of 250s. I'm in there about every 3-5 months and I think I've seen one un-sold bike in the past 2 years. Maybe you couldget another $100 off of MSRP, but from what I've seen the shop wouldn't have to do that to move the bike. Add in the 6.7% tax and whatever it takes to register the bike in CO and I don't see an opportunity for an OTD price of less than $5K around here. As the '08 models come out, maybe you could find a shop with an '07 or an '06 to get a great deal.

And regarding used bike prices,I think most people expect at least 15% off list on a used bike, regardless of miles, condition,etc. If I can't get that much off, then I'll just go ahead and buy from the dealer. $4,800 * 0.85 = $4,100. So, there's your ceiling.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Travis,

You're lucky that you happen to live somewhere that supply exceeded demand. I would have loved to get my bike for $4675. I was able to get them down from $5500to $5150, and I did it without being "a little assholish". I simply thanked them for their time and headed for the door. I had given them a reasonable offer (MSRP + tax = $5010) since I know that the mark-up on these bikes is very small. I accepted their counter-offer because I knew that it was the last KLX250S in the state of New Mexico, and I wanted it. I wasn't drooling, and I had already told them their price was too high and unacceptable.

Hours after buying my bike, a co-worker decided he wanted one too. Unfortunately for him, demand had exceeded supply.

Take some ecomonics classes. Not everyone is stupid, foolish, or naive because they paid more than you did. If that was true, you're stupid, foolish, and naive because you paid more than others.