2007 KLX 250 Rear Rack Rot...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2007 KLX 250 Rear Rack Rot...

Seems the metal rack on my KLX is rotting away from salt, extended periods of moisture in the cracks, etc. Upon returning from a mini-epic the other day, I realized my left-light support bracket had fallen completely off leaving my light dangling by the wires. I was able to secure it to the bike and ride home, but now I have to figure out what to do...should I weld the bracket back on? or is it smarter to look at aftermarket racks at this point? Are there any by Hpeco Becker that will fit this bike? If so, that would be great because I own a topcase by Hepco Becker...

Thanks for any ideas people...

Cheers!

Old 10-06-2009, 03:41 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I don't know. The stock rack seems to hold up well...except where the turn signal mounts are concerned. Most people just seem to get the tabs rewelded. That said, the OEM rack is pretty small, but that probably keeps some from overloading the back of the bike. The bike isn't designed to carry much weight back there if I recall.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

When I took off my stock lights the first time I pushed the tab up out of the way, when I brought it back down I could feel it give a little, it wasn't long before mine broke. I had to weld them back on. They were weak to start with.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

If welding will set you back more than it might be worth maybe this will fit:

Quote:
where did you buy the rack???

Justin at Nomadic Racks (he sells on eBay)... I think it was $79
email him nomadicracks@yahoo.com.
- Tell him SlapDrum sent ya from KF

I have a thread going on a mod to it at:
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=30453

Hope that any of this helps

Old 10-06-2009, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 10-07-2009, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CoffeeBean
Seems the metal rack on my KLX is rotting away from salt, extended periods of moisture in the cracks, etc. Upon returning from a mini-epic the other day, I realized my left-light support bracket had fallen completely off leaving my light dangling by the wires. I was able to secure it to the bike and ride home, but now I have to figure out what to do...should I weld the bracket back on? or is it smarter to look at aftermarket racks at this point? Are there any by Hpeco Becker that will fit this bike? If so, that would be great because I own a topcase by Hepco Becker...

Thanks for any ideas people...

Cheers!

I picked my bike up in FL and it has the same problem. Getting ready to clean my rack up and hit it with cold galvanizing spray before it eats through the metal....

Old 10-07-2009, 01:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine is rusting in the places where I always hook the bungee cords, so I'm going to pull it off, sandblast it, and spray it with pickup truck bedliner. The black should look good.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Name:  rack011.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  132.5 KB

Name:  rack009.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  154.6 KB

Old 10-08-2009, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

what kind of bag is that I want one

Old 10-08-2009, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I have decided to weld the rack...just took it off tonite and handed off to my buddy the "expert" welder. if he does good, I will be back on the bike ridin by friday...if not, I will be back on the bike ridin by friday with a little duct tape holding that light in place until I get a better rack put on...sure was a pain gettin those lights off properly...why didnt kawasaki just slice a thin wire slit into the mounts?

Quick Reply: 2007 KLX 250 Rear Rack Rot...