2006 KLX250 winter Storage, Mods questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2006 KLX250 winter Storage, Mods questions

Boys
I think I got bit. I saw a carb jet kit and slip-on exhaust flying by “perhaps another KLX with mods” and I shooed them away and they both came back and bit me. So now what do I do?
Earlier I just wanted a Stock bike now ????????????
Bike is a Stock 2006 KLX250S w/400 miles----I plan to ride until freeze time, which was last night! But expected to be in the 70’s for a while.
I have ALL winter to decide and play 
So Far my ideas:
Winter Storage-----Top off tank w/91 Octane., add Fuel stabilizer “Blue”, run for a while then top off again.
Put a little oil in spark plug hole, turn over to circulate.
Try to raise bike off of cement? Reduce Air Pressure
Remove Battery---put on Battery Tender, BUT Battery is 7 years old, maybe time for a new one?
I do not plan on starting it from Nov~March approx.
Please—if I missed anything I welcome your input on winter storage.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for the good stuff:
FMF Slip on----Price seems reasonable, and hopefully not too loud. I like to keep peace w/neighbors.
Dyno Jet kit--? 0r Kaw Parts?—This is confusing, some say buy Kawasaki parts some say get the Dyno Kit, some say get the kit for the 300, Etc, Etc. Etc. Help 
Does anybody have a no problem proven record with their 2006 KLX 250 with a
FMF Slip-on
Carb Mods
I know many questions and advice from you and I appreciate it. Thanks to all!!

Stashu

Old 10-06-2011, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Nov-March? Fill the gas tank, drain the carb, disconnect the battery.

If you want more power - 351, exhaust, jet. Done.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

As for FMF,

Q4 = moderately loud ( probably the quietest aftermarket muffler you can buy, sounds perfect )

Powercore = pretty loud, not as loud as some of the other manufacturers but louder than the Q4

As for the jet kit, I say go ahead and get the dynojet kit. It comes with everything you need. If you do more mods in the future, you have jets in all ranges you can use. It just seemed easier to me. Ordering anything from the dealer can be kind of a pain. Either kit will work too, the 2152 or the 2206. Both will produce about the same results. One uses a spring, and one uses an enlarged vacuum hole and different needle, both accomplish the same thing.

You won't believe the difference a new pipe, jet kit, and opened up airbox makes. You will have a smile from ear to ear. A 351 will make that smile even bigger.

For storage, I usually just add fuel stabalizer and throw it up on its stand. Any motorcycle owner should have a stand/lift for there bike. They are like $30 at harbour freight. I start it and run it a couple times over the course of the winter. Throw the battery on a trickle charger every month or so.

No problems yet after three years.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I drain all my gas through the valve on the bottom of the carb bowl,then turn the petcock off and lube the cylinder with oil... plan on a new plug in spring, but i always change it anyways. I put my battery on a tender inside my den... u can put multiple batteries in parallel and still use one tender, the tender will just see a larger load. I do this for my dads bateries so we can still use only one tender and not have to alternate it between the batteries every few weeks.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

looks like some new members here that need to give us an intro in the new members area.