2006 KLX Brake light help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Default 2006 KLX Brake light help

I just picked up my first motorcycle in a 2006 KLX250s. I went down to my local DMV to get licensed for it (after riding on it for a month without one haha). During the driving test the DMV had to stop the test because my bike wasn't "street legal". So I asked them and they said that my brake light is always on and cannot continue with the test until I get it fixed. Does anyone have any ideas why its on even though I am not braking? I am no mechanic so after an internet search not finding anything I decided I better post something.

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-20-2012, 12:03 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

One of your brake light switches is stuck. Usually on a setup like ours it's the rear brake pedal switch that's connected to that spring. That rear brake switch is a plunger style switch. Unhook the spring by hand or with needle nose pliers and work the switch rod in and out with the key on to see if the light goes out. Sometimes due to the location of this switch, it gets crudded up with mud and such. If you find the switch causes the light to go on and off, then you just need to make sure the switch is adjusted properly to the brake pedal. You'll see a nut that you move up and down the switch body to change how aggressively the pedal pulls the switch on. Once you tinker with this switch by pulling it by hand, you'll get the gist of how this thing works.

Now, you might have a front brake switch issue too, or instead, but this switch usually works or it doesn't work. It's not adjustable. It has a simple pin that the lever pushes and releases. Look up under the brake lever housing and you'll get the idea. Now, I have seen an impact to a lever cause it to sit closer to the switch and hold the switch on all the time. When you see how simple it is, you'll see how it works.

Now, if none of these diagnosis work, you may have to break out a circuit tester, and that may require some simple electrical knowledge. Check out the rear brake switch first as I suggested, as this is the most common element causing a stuck brake light.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jregier60
so after an internet search not finding anything
There is a search function right here on KF too. I almost guarantee that its your rear brake switch. Mine was all coroded and gummed up with mud, so I took it apart and cleaned it up like new. Here's what I did. Best of luck , Dan

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...rebuild-37345/

Old 06-20-2012, 06:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Yep rear brake light switch I put a new one on but give Dan's method a go. Nothing to lose

Old 06-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Or the bulb is in wrong or its the wrong bulb. I've seen that cause the lamp to run on the higher brightness filament. Pull the bulb and make sure its the right one. Oh I almost forgot...Welcome to the forums!!!

Old 06-20-2012, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Might simply be the rear switch adjustment. I like my light to come on if I even so much as touch the brake pedal, and I have mine set accourdingly.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I had to tear apart the rear brake switch and more or less rebuild it, big shocker it was full of mud. Im betting its the rear brake switch. if you are unsure, just unplug each switch to see which one is activating it. It might be something more simple/stupid, it might have the wrong bulb in the socket, or its in 180 degrees out.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:11 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Alright, jr...just how long does it take to go outside and yank on the rear brake pedal spring a time or two to see how it affects brake light operation? We're all on pins-and-noodles around here...LOL!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:22 PM

haha sorry guys, I'm planning on getting to it tonight. Working two jobs leaves for little time to ride let alone work on it. I'm hoping its a quick fix, like I said I do not know to much about motorcycles let alone fixing one. I just want to ride! haha

Old 06-21-2012, 12:25 AM

Well bad news. Made the rookie mistake of not disconnecting the battery and something went wrong. Have no power at all to the bike. Will be taking it to the shop tomorrow night after work.

Quick Reply: 2006 KLX Brake light help