2 hour hare scramble

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 2 hour hare scramble

Went sunday to wichita ks. and rode the klx in a scramble race. What a deal!!! They had part supercross(not good), part motocross( better ), part gncc type woods (liked that) and two turns on a short track (fast). I ran in the over 40 class and managed, through attrition, a 12th place out of 34 starters. NEED FRONT FORK SPRINGS!!!! The supercross section consisted of throttle/bottom out/throttle/bottom out etc. etc. The motocross section was way better but still hit bottom on the big jumps. The woods were really cool. The bike was nimble (as much as it could be carrying a wore out old guy) had just enough power and braking to be fun. The stock dunflops were a bit weak in the mud but ok for the rest. The wide RPM range was great. all in all it was a blast and i would go again. Do any of you guys do that type of racing?

Old 11-25-2008, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Your making me jealous man Sounds like you had a good time.

It was 42* here yesterday and took mine for a 55 mile dirt/gravel road run to town and back. I mostly use the little KLX to chase the kids around the OHV parks here in Iowa myself.

Regards,
Bert

Old 11-25-2008, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Roverdude I just did one, but it wasn't a "race" it was just a ride, and it didn't have any jumps, it was a ton-o-fun though. Carving through the wood on a singletrack is my favorite thing to do on my motorcycle, and this "ride" had plenty of that.
12th out of 34 is great! and the best part was you had fun!
Here's the thread and pics of the one I did.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ighlight=blast

Name:  IMG_4370-1.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  107.5 KB

Old 11-25-2008, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I just got my bike in October, I have had bikes in the past, but none for the last 7 or so years, so I'm getting my feet wet again, oh, and I never had a street legal bike before, so that aspect is new. I just joined the Dayton Dirt Riders, they have 40 acres of woods with trails, mostly single track, pretty tough some of it. It is an 8 mile ride from my house, none of it highway, a pretty relaxing ride to get there. Right next to the Dayton Dirt Riders' property is the Dayton Motorcycle Club, they have a motocross track. This Saturday on the 29th, they are having a Hare Scrambles, which will be on the DMC motocross tack, and linked to the trails of the DDR. Someone I talked to said the DDR riders kick butt on the trails, but the DMC riders get it back on the MX track. Too bad I have to worl this Saturday. I will try to plan next year's vacation schedule around having that week off.

It's cool you got to race, and that you placed so well. I just ordered some stiffer fork springs, 0.44, I weigh 215, so I'm going to need them. You might place even higher next time if you get stiffer springs. Thanks for sharing, I enjoy reading about things people do with their KLXs.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Roverdude I just did one, but it wasn't a "race" it was just a ride, and it didn't have any jumps, it was a ton-o-fun though. Carving through the wood on a singletrack is my favorite thing to do on my motorcycle, and this "ride" had plenty of that.
12th out of 34 is great! and the best part was you had fun!
Here's the thread and pics of the one I did.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ighlight=blast

What a blast! Those wood trails looked good. I would jump at the chance for riding like that. Thanks for the pics

Old 11-25-2008, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

very cool mang thanks for sharing

NoBrakes does these harescrambles I think

Old 12-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I did one last spring, it was a blast. I wanted to do more, but it seems that never worked out. I'm hoping to do a few more during the upcoming season starting in the spring.

I did a ride report for it, but it seems to have been chopped off. Maybe it was too long and all of it didn't transfer when KF upgraded to the new software. I'll see about updating it.

Here's a couple of photos of me that one of the race photographers took - lots of fun! I recommend doing at least one of these. They are pretty brutal if you ride hard the whole race. I was exhausted at the end and my arms pumped so badly they felt pretty much useless after the 3rd lap. Being my first race, I wasn't too worried about where I placed, but more just trying to take in all in and actually finish which I did and is pretty challenging in and of itself. But if nothing else, you can come away with a few cool photos like I did.

Hoping to do more of these.

There was a Supercross portion in my race too and that stuff was so far out of my league it wasn't even funny. I jumped the table tops, but those steep doubles and triples were the first I'd ever seen and I wasn't going to make this my first attempt at something like that so I just rolled those and lived to ride another day. I used that section to rest and rehydrate from the camel bak.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
I did one last spring, it was a blast. I wanted to do more, but it seems that never worked out. I'm hoping to do a few more during the upcoming season starting in the spring.

I did a ride report for it, but it seems to have been chopped off. Maybe it was too long and all of it didn't transfer when KF upgraded to the new software. I'll see about updating it.

Here's a couple of photos of me that one of the race photographers took - lots of fun! I recommend doing at least one of these. They are pretty brutal if you ride hard the whole race. I was exhausted at the end and my arms pumped so badly they felt pretty much useless after the 3rd lap. Being my first race, I wasn't too worried about where I placed, but more just trying to take in all in and actually finish which I did and is pretty challenging in and of itself. But if nothing else, you can come away with a few cool photos like I did.

Hoping to do more of these.

There was a Supercross portion in my race too and that stuff was so far out of my league it wasn't even funny. I jumped the table tops, but those steep doubles and triples were the first I'd ever seen and I wasn't going to make this my first attempt at something like that so I just rolled those and lived to ride another day. I used that section to rest and rehydrate from the camel bak.
The supercross is BRUTAL for sure!! Thanks for the pics

Old 12-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Here's a like to my report from last year. Wow, that brings back memories.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...d.php?p=268300

Old 12-05-2008, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

bin there; done that; I need springs!
Nice job! glad to see more people riding it to the limits

Quick Reply: 2 hour hare scramble