15/39 gearing is perfect

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by greychinos
I have, and gains in a slow bike are certainly noticeable over stock, I agree. But in my experience that honeymoon phase wears off quickly and then you're still left with a slow bike. Just because it feels quicker than stock, when you're so slow to begin with, noticeable improvements don't mean it's enough.

I'm EFI for what it's worth. AHL kit price alone is deceiving because then you also need a fuel controller to support it and obviously its a smart idea to get a pipe too. The price balloons to $600+ very quickly which really ruins the value proposition.

The 37cc bump for the ZX6 was first implemented twenty model years ago now so believe me I'm aware of it. The current 636 also has I believe 134 horsepower. Little different then going from around 19 to 22 or some such in our case. That engine has such a better flowing head than we have, it can take advantage of the added displacement much better than our lethargic head and cam profile can. Engines are all about the symbiotic relationship between every component, not just throwing a small amount of displacement at everything and expecting mega results universally.
So, why aren't you running a KTM690 since it isn't worth doing anything with a KLX250 or 300? With everything you've said, I just find it hard to believe you even ride a 250. You clearly don't get what some of us are trying to do - make our bikes like we want them. Rather you just want to ridicule anything we say. I get it why you've been blocked by some. You seem to want to rain on people's parades. Of course you can't rain on mine, because at this point I don't care what you think of what has been discussed, because you are no longer adding anything of any worth. What a shame.

Old 07-15-2022, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
So, why aren't you running a KTM690 since it isn't worth doing anything with a KLX250 or 300? With everything you've said, I just find it hard to believe you even ride a 250. You clearly don't get what some of us are trying to do - make our bikes like we want them. Rather you just want to ridicule anything we say. I get it why you've been blocked by some. You seem to want to rain on people's parades. Of course you can't rain on mine, because at this point I don't care what you think of what has been discussed, because you are no longer adding anything of any worth. What a shame.
How is saying that these bikes are good for their intended purpose of light trail usage but not a great platform for dumping money into in the name of horsepower raining on people's parades? Because I said that a 20 horsepower motorcycle does not actually pull hard, that's ridicule?

Old 07-15-2022, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I have, and gains in a slow bike are certainly noticeable over stock, I agree. But in my experience that honeymoon phase wears off quickly and then you're still left with a slow bike. Just because it feels quicker than stock, when you're so slow to begin with, noticeable improvements don't mean it's enough..
What you are actually saying is that when you are addicted to power, you can never have enough.

I'm different in that I'm not out to prove anything. A more powerful bike doesn't make me more powerful. I simply use a bike as a tool and adapt it for my uses. And while I love tinkering around with bikes as a fun hobby, they are still just tools.

I also noticed that the joy of riding is all the same. I rode a little 50cc Honda Ruckus in my business for years,

and I had just as much fun riding it as any other bike I've ever owned.

Old 07-15-2022, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tooter
What you are actually saying is that when you are addicted to power, you can never have enough.

I'm different in that I'm not out to prove anything. A more powerful bike doesn't make me more powerful.
You're implying that I'm "out to prove something" because I said that a 20 horsepower motorcycle is not a lot of power? The KLX makes below average horsepower for a full-size motorcycle. So over half of the remaining motorcycles out there, those are all ridden by people with "something to prove" instead of just liking the versatility that more horsepower affords you?

Old 07-15-2022, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

You're implying that I'm "out to prove something" because I said that a 20 horsepower motorcycle is not a lot of power? The KLX makes below average horsepower for a full-size motorcycle. So over half of the remaining motorcycles out there, those are all ridden by people with "something to prove" instead of just liking the versatility that more horsepower affords you?
I'm more than just implying...

You confirmed what I said in your own words::

"I have, and gains in a slow bike are certainly noticeable over stock, I agree. But in my experience that honeymoon phase wears off quickly and then you're still left with a slow bike. Just because it feels quicker than stock, when you're so slow to begin with, noticeable improvements don't mean it's enough."

We each have two completely different approaches to riding. I'm just describing the difference.

I'm totally happy with how my bike performs. It's no end of fun.

Last edited by tooter; 07-15-2022 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-15-2022, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

What did I say that tells you that I have something to prove by wanting more horsepower? Prove what, to who?

Old 07-17-2022, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

What did I say that tells you that I have something to prove by wanting more horsepower? Prove what, to who?
I already clearly described the difference between us and even used your own words to demonstrate it.
All you are showing now is your own lack of self awareness.
You should read your own words again and consider what they say about you.